Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Adding Sunroofs to Non Sunroof Discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Sunroofs to Non Sunroof Discovery?

I've just bought a project '97 Discovery that doesn't have the sunroofs for a price I like. There is a '95 Discovery in a junkyard that has the sunroofs in it.

Is it possible for one to add the sunroofs as the title asks? Has anybody attempted it with success? Tips?

Thanks,

vince

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes it can be done, the cut outs are already there.
But be forewarned that the sunroofs on Land Rovers suck, they leak, the wont close once opened and when the track breaks it cannot be bought separate you must buy the whole sunroof assembly.
And just a FYI, the sunroofs for a DII are the same as a DI, same motors, size, tracks everything.
Oh, and you would also need the drains for the sunroofs, there are plastic drains that run from the sunroof down the "A" pillar and out the fender to drain water.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Overlanding

Thanks! I've taken sunroofs apart in other vehicles to clean them, repaint, replace headliners, etc. Now that I know this can be done and the parts are not far away, I'll grab them.

Another toy....

vince

Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Spike, im pretty sure in your whole post the only thing he heard was "yes it can be done" haha.
I get like that though too, totally overzealous when it comes to this truck. I hope they work out for you man, but i've heard some horror stories re: those tracks and the drains. Def wish mine had sunroofs (especialy if they weren't a headache).

Take pics and keep us posted

Old 04-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seriously? I would take a NO sunroof truck any day. Much less hassle. But if your going to do it, why not just put some good after markets in that actually work and can be replaced if they fail cheap?

Actually, since your cutting, I've never seen a Disco with Tee tops.... or a moon roof... I have seen a hard top converted to the VW style canvas button down style roof hole. (not sure of what they called that)

Last edited by ngarover; 04-08-2011 at 07:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ononomos (02-06-2021)
Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Why stop at t-tops? I've always said the one thing that would make the D1 perfect is gullwing doors.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to start cutting and modding check out some of the "Bobbed" Discoveries that exist. Do a search. They are way cooler than the average Disco.

Of course, you will be throwing a lot of money away that you will never recover, but WTF, that is what money is for. Spend, Spend, Spend. It helps the economy.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Overlanding

Tomorrow I go to pick the project up and hope it makes the 70 miles home without incident. Should, as long as I stop at the gas station first. Then I'll have a better idea of what else I need as I head to the local junkyard. So it needs a few things, I like wrenching.

I like the bright and airy interior of the Discovery, and the sunroofs add to it. Since the truck in the junkyard has them, I see no reason to grab them, while also grabbing other parts it needs. I'm a bit of a stickler for originality unless a modified part is clearly better, or the factory part doesn't want to come out without being damaged. Then I go aftermarket. Of course, I may end up regretting it, but better to have tried.....

Thanks!

vince

Old 04-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

This is a first for me. Never seen/heard of anyone putting sunroofs in a non-sunroof equipped Disco - as was mentioned, most folks hate them given their poor track record. Folks go out of their way to buy one without sunroofs. But, to each their own! Good luck with it.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Overlanding

I've got a non-factory sunroof in my Disco. It sucks. Installed by the dealer for the original owner (it's an XD, the damn thing won't even open with the safari rack in place). It leaks. Don't do it.

I'm actually tempted to have a panel welded in place and remove the sunroof completely.

Quick Reply: Adding Sunroofs to Non Sunroof Discovery?