Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Adding Sunroofs to Non Sunroof Discovery?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can only see doing this if you're putting in an aftermarket sunroof. I do like having the sunroofs in mine but they are a f'ing nightmare, I was so tired of the water everywhere i went and bought two tubes of marine silicone and caulked the entire things shut.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by prairie boy
I figured the windshield trim would not be cheap; it's been pricey for the BMWs I also have. The windshield cost me $30 (took it out myself), so I don't mind spending some on the rest of the parts and adhesive. I only keep liability insurance on my old vehicles, because I can repair or replace parts cheaper myself and not affect my insurance policy.

Dealer only item or places like Atlantic British?

I have most of the headliner down and tomorrow should be able to take the rest down as well as the sunroofs. I like the extra light more than I would bother with opening. Toughest part will be cutting the openings in the roof. Total cost will probably be about $75-100 for the parts, plus that headliner is in better shape than the one in the truck.

Having gone coast to coast and back in a BMW 2002 with sidedraft Webers and straight exhaust, whats a 'lil wind noise?

Thanks!

vince

The window seal is about $300 the last time I checked.
I had my windshield replaced last year, I have full glass coverage, its $12 per year.
The total bill was just shy of $700, the window seal cost more than the glass.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Sunroofs? T-Tops? come on. Lets cut the roof off of her and put a roll cage in it's place

Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Forget the sunroof! Seriously just take the money you would have spent butchering your Disco and buy a motorcycle or a good road/mtn bike. There's your sun and plenty of it!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let the sun and rain in, it's more like being out doors. I love using my sun roofs, but I have always been a drop top kinda guy.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got to be honest, I love having the sunroofs there. I really like the extra light as well. I don't open them that often, because I don't trust them that much, but if they ever started leaking out of hand, I'd just seal 'em up and disconnect the switches.

So if the extra light is mainly what you're going for, maybe you could just install the sunroof, but don't worry about the motor and all that junk. Just install the glass and everything, and make sure it's sealed real nicely. Shouldn't be that hard to do, and you wouldn't have to screw around with the wiring.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Overlanding

I removed everything from the donor Rover yesterday. Donor is a '95, mine is a '97, and the '95 has a rear ventilation system, so the headliner in it isn't compatible. I took most of the wiring as well, but there seems to be some interconnectivity with the body harness. It has occurred to me that even if I find matching plugs on my Rover, I may not get the full electrical functions easily. BTDT with other car projects. In that case, it's likely I'll either make the sunroofs inop, or try to set them up with cranks; a quick look makes me wonder if some older euro car sunroof cranks or window cranks might have matching splines.

Sitting in the donor, i really liked how it has the extra light and feels so light and airy compared to one without sunroofs.

vince

Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Moon Roof Question

Not trying to hijack this thread but I just picked up a '97 yesterday, very few flaws that I can tell so far but I did noticed the moon roof above me rattling a bit. After a little investigation, it's missing 1 of the 4 plugs/screws that attach the glass to the track. Is this a dealer only item or anyone know the part? I've checked the D1 parts and workshop manual but nada. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I it is not too difficult. I took both from my 97 D1 SE, and installed them on my 99 D1 DS. I was fortunate enough to have the 97 to measure off of. The disassembly is as easy as the assembly. Just be sure to leave extra headboard material before the final cut. I used a thin wheel grinder for the entire job. No leaks and they work perfect.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Overlanding

Thanks LRD2! I just need to be patient when I cut my roof.

vince

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding Sunroofs to Non Sunroof Discovery?