Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Adding Sunroofs to Non Sunroof Discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, got the new arrival home without any problems....and right away went to the junkyard. First thing I took out was the windshield, as mine is cracked. Now I need to find the rubber/metal trim parts that go around the windshield soI can install the new one.

The sunroof are next, I already have most of the headliner down in the 'yard truck, and I want to take that too as it's in better shape than mine. The sunroof motor looks like the same as used in other euro cars. The sunroofs in the truck don't leak, lol. I will probably not open them that often.

Hopefully I'll be able to run by there tomorrow and take more out, maybe both sunroofs if I'm lucky.

The wiring and connectors are there under the regular headliner, right?

Thanks,

vince

Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Those window seals are expensive, I would just put glass coverage on the truck and let the insurance company pay for a new windshield.

Yes the wiring and switches for the sunroofs are under the sunroof truck headliner.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default crazy

thats crazy...would cost more than the truck is worth and probably leak like crazy.. I live in florida and never open mine...maybe if i lived in california or something....driving down I75 at 80 you cant hear anything..like having the plane door open....

Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
thats crazy...would cost more than the truck is worth and probably leak like crazy.. I live in florida and never open mine...maybe if i lived in california or something....driving down I75 at 80 you cant hear anything..like having the plane door open....
I opened mine once...once. When I first bought it, and my hair was so messy and I couldnt hear the radio or my wife...wait, I need to make sure they still work!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
I opened mine once...once. When I first bought it, and my hair was so messy and I couldnt hear the radio or my wife...wait, I need to make sure they still work!
My Disco was cherry when I got it, 46k opened them once... Figured out that the back sunroof was already broken

Old 04-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured the windshield trim would not be cheap; it's been pricey for the BMWs I also have. The windshield cost me $30 (took it out myself), so I don't mind spending some on the rest of the parts and adhesive. I only keep liability insurance on my old vehicles, because I can repair or replace parts cheaper myself and not affect my insurance policy.

Dealer only item or places like Atlantic British?

I have most of the headliner down and tomorrow should be able to take the rest down as well as the sunroofs. I like the extra light more than I would bother with opening. Toughest part will be cutting the openings in the roof. Total cost will probably be about $75-100 for the parts, plus that headliner is in better shape than the one in the truck.

Having gone coast to coast and back in a BMW 2002 with sidedraft Webers and straight exhaust, whats a 'lil wind noise?

Thanks!

vince

Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a BAD idea..

Seriously.. If nessisary put in an after market one PLEASE..

It WILL leak
It's a bad design
Its not even very large
When open it Will rattle over bumps
When open it's not even really open all the way.

Get a 4runner sunroof there better, please don't do this

Old 04-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by prairie boy
I only keep liability insurance on my old vehicles,
vince
I think you can buy windshield coverage for pretty cheap without going full coverage.. in some states its mandated that they cover you with your liabillity coverage as it is a safety concern

Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Mudding

I've got 2 free sunroofs you can have. You'll love them, they'll hold less liquid than my grandma's bladder. You'll love the rust under the carpet and the musky smell you can do nothing about.

The following users liked this post:
ononomos (02-06-2021)
Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was talking to the original owner of my 96 this weekend (who wants the truck back btw) and he was looking over all the changes etc I've done to his former truck and mentioned the rear sunroof. Seems it broke 2 months after he bought the truck and he didn't go and get it fixed under warranty cause he never used them and the one time he did actually open them it was so loud he couldn't stand it. I drive with all the windows down all the time, and I still have only opened them a couple times, mainly to see if they work. But as soon as I get to about 40 I'm closing them again....

Quick Reply: Adding Sunroofs to Non Sunroof Discovery?