Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Air Conditioner Question - 95 Disco 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioner Question - 95 Disco 1

Ok - so I started a new thread, because my situation is kind of unique.

When I turn on my a/c unit - both fans come on. At first, the a/c clutch was not engaging. I bought a can of do it yourself a/c recharge - put in 1/2 a can and the clutch engages. Success!

Not blowing cold air still - after putting in the remainder of the can.

Also - still not registering any pressure on the gauge that came with the can.

Here is what makes my situation a bit unique. Someone redid the heads on my Rover before I bought it.

My questions are:

1) When they did this, wouldn't they have had to drain the system completely?
2) If so - how many cans should it take to recharge the system?

I emptied the entire can - it is still not blowing cold, and it is registering 0 on the gauge. I figure it is going to take a lot more, or my gauge is faulty.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

They may have laid compressor to the side with lines attached. Or the could have just vented to the atmosphere which is not good. Here are the economic facts: If one can has not done it, you have some other problems. The cost of a set of gauges and vac pump exceed the cost of a shop handling this. You might be able to rent gauges and vac pump, but if you have never used them then there is the learning curve.

You could have a problem with the drier needing to be replaced if compressor lines were off and system was exposed to open air. The drier soaks up humidity, and if you buy one they come shrink wrapped. Once you open the wrap it must be installed in minutes.

You tried the basic fix. Now it is time to spend a small fee and get it done, save money on other DIY things to make up the difference.

Full fill is 0.9 kilograms, with rear air that would jump to 1.15 kilograms of R134a.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-20-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Took it to the shop - they inspected it for free. Said I have a leak in the line that feeds the rear a/c. The shop specializes in a/c and driveline - but the guy wouldn't let me watch them work, and the kid using the vac system seemed to be fumbling with the machine a bit. The owner did go out and talk to him a couple times (I felt like he was teaching him how to use the machine).... Not sure that I trust them...but have nothing else to go on.

Is there a way for me to verify what they were diagnosed - or should I just take it to another shop?

If it is a leak to the rear - is replacing the lines, or bypassing the rear an option?

Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

There have been posts about bypassing the rear air. They can't let you in the shop due to liability insurance. It is nothing personal, just business.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks - I will search for the threads on bypassing the rear air.

Just curios - if they didn't pump in the die to look for the leak, how would he know that there is a leak in the rear air.

I understand about the liability - but the whole thing just felt weird. He was secretive, and the kid didn't seem to know what he was doing - they were talking in hushed voices around me. It was just a weird vibe.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't trust the mechanic now is the time for a second opinion. You may resemble a rich Land Rover owner (and a long repair bill). If not by dye, other ways include electronic leak detection, bubbles, seeing a greasy film around hose ends, etc.

Attached Thumbnails Air Conditioner Question - 95 Disco 1-bad-mechanic.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If you don't trust the mechanic now is the time for a second opinion. You may resemble a rich Land Rover owner (and a long repair bill). If not by dye, other ways include electronic leak detection, bubbles, seeing a greasy film around hose ends, etc.
LOL - Love it.

At this point - since I live in the state of Washington, and our summer is almost over - I'm not going to worry about it. I will look into this next spring, before our 75 + degree days kick in.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Simon Chapple
Air conditioning is now an extremely popular method of providing not only cooling but also heating for offices and homes as whichever air conditioning system is selected the system guarantees the perfect indoor temperature all year round, replacing stale air with fresh clean air, removing impurities and reducing humidity levels.

If you are looking to install a new air conditioning unit to your home or business premises within Surrey, Kent, the South East or London then you may call the experts at Cooling Climate who have over 8 years’ experience in the complete project management of air conditioning systems.

The expert professional team at Cooling Climate provide their valued customers with the ultimate service right through from the initial design to final testing and commissioning of the air conditioning system, on-going maintenance and servicing.

www.coolingclimate.co.uk[/URL]
Reported this spammer

Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If they used dye to detect a rear a/c leak, they would have had to expose the entire a/c line and system to see the actual leak.
There is such a thing as an a/c freon sniffer that can smell the freon and give you a good indication of the leaks location.