Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ALARM & Driver Door Issue ((Searched ad nauseum))

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking ***FIXED-1st Post*** ALARM & Driver Door Issue ***FIXED***

See Danny's post on page 3 for reference:

The Fix:
  1. I tried putting +12v to pin 7 on C225 and grounding out the bluish wire; no results.
  2. I flipped out and cussed out the neighborhood; no results.
  3. I thought that maybe since I am on this side of the pond that putting pin 7 to the negative terminal on the battery might work... RESULTS! The driver's door unlocked as if I used the key, but no start.
  4. Tried a few combinations, but the Disco would not allow me to start it.
  5. I remembered reading some bizarre fix about locking and unlocking 5 times, but my key would still not operate the door lock from the outside.
  6. I realized I had a rigged up way to lock and unlock; I took the jumper wire, still connected to pin 7 with the C225 connector still plugged into the evil green box, and touched it back and forth between the positive and negative terminals of the battery to lock and unlock five times.
  7. Not only did it allow me to start the beast, but the Driver's side door lock works from the outside again!

Holy Blank! Someone slashed my left rear tire! I guess the saga continues.

VVV---Previous Post---VVV

SYMPTOMS:
  1. Key will not lock or unlock Driver's side door
  2. Alarm goes off when passenger door is unlocked with key
  3. Key in ignition will not disable alarm or start engine
  4. Lovely red light is on
RECENT ACTIVITY:
  1. Disconnected battery and put on float charger while I changed spark plugs and wires.
  2. Reconnected the battery and started Disco; ran for several minutes without issue and turned off
TROUBLESHOOTING:
  1. Disconnected/reconnected battery
  2. Disconnected battery, turned key to ignition position II and reconnected battery
    1. wouldn't start
    2. turning ignition off and attempting restart set off alarm
  3. Checked fuse F4(15A) in Satellite #2 fuse box under steering column; fine, but replaced with LED fuse("glows when blown" )
  4. Pulled the lock button(inside driver's door) up with multi-tool; snapped back down. I can't open the driver door at all
  5. In process of removing dash to jump the spider - details to follow
I don't have/never had any fobs. It didn't quite match any of the other problems I found, mostly because I can't open the driver's door at all, so I hope the spider trick works. Anything I'm missing? Any and all help is appreciated!

Last edited by ThorsDiscovery; 12-10-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Three Wheeling

My bad... this may be at least part of my driver's side door problem, right?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-new-one-3375/

Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If you like the RAVE this is what you can find:

A. Most likely your driver door switch is not operating the alarm, so nothing else works right, system will remeber that it was armed, etc.

See attached drawings from the RAVE.

Locate connector C2101 in footwell, unplug, find blue/green wire, should be pin 3 on side toward door. If you can meter toward switch for ohms, should read short to ground when switch operated.

If no short from switch, go to connector that feeds toward the rest of the truck, and momentarily ground the blue/green. Should disarm. If wire is broken or grounded between that point an alarm module you will have more work ahead of you.

The alarm module sends 12 volt pulse to unlock the door on the yellow/pink wire on pin 6 of same connector. I think door must be electrically unlocked, this is a real PITA in Borneo when a tiger is chasing you and the battery is dead....

You'll need a bottle of ibuprofen to deal with the pretzel yoga positions involved.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 alarm door sw.PDF (357.6 KB, 194 views)
c2101 location.PDF (477.5 KB, 173 views)
c2101 pin out.PDF (325.7 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-21-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Actuator on D2 similar, but more complex. Has a second lock motor, for superlock, that disables inside door handles. Since your alarm won't disarm, I lean toward the switch.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate these alarm systems.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Only there to guard the gold that must be conveyed to stealership frequently. Any fool would know that anyone with an older Land Rover is almost broke..... and everytime you get a little ahead the transfer case whispers to the transmission and the propshaft "today is the day."

Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The drivers door controls the alarm, if you open any other door the alarm will go off.
Your truck thinks the alarm is still armed, there is a separate battery to keep the alarm memory for when the battery is unhooked.
No need to remove the whole dash to get to the alarm spider.
Your whole problem is with the drivers door, nothing will work right until you unlock and open that door.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
The drivers door controls the alarm, if you open any other door the alarm will go off.
Your truck thinks the alarm is still armed, there is a separate battery to keep the alarm memory for when the battery is unhooked.
No need to remove the whole dash to get to the alarm spider.
Your whole problem is with the drivers door, nothing will work right until you unlock and open that door.
Will jumping the spider permanently disable the alarm?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Awesome! This is why I never buy luxury brand vehicles; they don't follow K.I.S.S.

I appreciate the super-quick responses. I started to dive into the rave once I downloaded it again(old computer bit the dust) but I was a few quarts low on beer for the day.

...not looking forward to the yoga positions; 6'3", 220

Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

The problem is that driver door is not mechanically unlocked by key, it depends on the solenoid activation from the alarm module. The door switch contact toggles the alarm on/off. While you can "spider disable" immobilization, you still have to deal with the door. Get the red light to switch off and a lot of things will start working much better. I suppose if you were to cut the door switch wire, the alarm would never be armed. But that would probably screw up central locking as well.

Quick Reply: ALARM & Driver Door Issue ((Searched ad nauseum))