Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Allmakes Parts - Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah not bad for $50. There were a few more expensive options, but I'm not sure what the difference would be.

The marble is so flat and smooth that it's great for laying out parts. Short of lead it's about the heaviest material I can think of to make Disco mods with. Maybe a thick slab beneath the transmission for armor and to keep its center of gravity below the tree line.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On the water pump, a known failure mechanism is the impeller is staked onto the shaft. It becomes loose and does not effectively move the water. While you have yours out, you may want to take a close look at that aspect of the part.

I do not care for the appearance of the timing chain, some of those ends look a lot different than some of the others. I would expect a uniform appearance on those ends.

The link that Spike gave us for D&D had a listing for a true double roller timing chain didn't it? If I were replacing my timing chain, I would want to make sure what I put in was the best available since a problem with that could end up in a catastrophic failure if it separated while running.

On my Volvo 240, my timing belt broke one time, I was fortunate that I was sitting at a traffic light waiting for it to turn green when the engine just died. It would turn over but not start. The shop found that the belt broke but since it was at idle, there was no damage to the engine, just had to have a new timing belt.

My son was not so lucky with the Dodge Avenger he had. Engine was a total loss.

What does the old timing chain look like? Is it the same construction. The push rod difference alone concern me. Throw in those castings issues with the gears and the variances in the cam, I have even less confidence.

If the other parts are varying as well, you may be in for some unpleasant results from the extensive rebuild.

Just because the part fit in the box, the box fit on the shelf where the computer said the OEM Rover Parts are supposed to be, does not give me a warm feeling.

And as some one else mentioned, there are differences in basic Rovers depending on when LR decided to incorporate mid stream changes, things may not be as good as they look.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Took some pics of the old and new water pumps impeller areas for ya.

Allmakes Parts - Lots of Pics-img_1857.jpgAllmakes Parts - Lots of Pics-img_1858.jpg

The timing chain is made by Dynagear in the USA. They "seem" like a quality manufacturer. My old one is the floppy kind where the links bend both directions. However my new one is the stiff kind, where the links only bend one way. This is supposed to make them quieter. Dynagear makes both the floppy and stiff, but I opted for the stiff.

I like the Dynagear crank gear. It looks as good as the original. Too bad they didn't make the cam gear.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:15 PM

The only negative I see on the water pump is that the face of the impeller appears to already have some minor surface corrosion on it.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM

I wonder what the timing chain that D&D listed looks like?