Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Alternator Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Bearings

Hi all

well got the starter back in and fired it up, and then noticed a noise from the alternator, so as i am off on a ten day trip at xmas figured i had better pull it out and do the bearings.Simple huh........ Nup

stripped the regulator off the back and discovered there about 6 bolts and nuts holding that together, then try to split the case, normally or rather when doing alternators in the past you split the case, the stator goes with the rear of the unit and the shaft simply slides out of the bearing, well these ones are not like that!!!, turned out the Stator is a permanant part of the front housing, so you have to un solder the joins from the diode pack and leave the stator in the front half, so i heated the solder joints with a gas torch and blew the solder out with compressed air, then levered the halves apart and it came apart easy, got the bearings out of the front seems ok, got the bearing off the rotor rear and it rumbles , so 2 new bearings to be ordered tomorrow,
, a skim on the the lathe for the slip rings and a good clean in a kero bath and then reassemble, and re solder.
then hopefully sorted noise and bearings for a few more ks

cheers

Pedronz

Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here in the States we can't get large volume rebuilders to do as good a job as you have. Most mass-market rebuilds fail 50% of the time. May be related to use of low temperature rated regulator and diodes.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe we need to save our originals and start a recycling pool instead of turning them back in for a core charge refund. What do they charge for the core charge ? Maybe ten bucks.

I can pick up used starters pretty reasoanbly from the local recycler, have not priced alternators yet.

Same for tranny and t/c as a unit.

I hate the thought of using places like AutoZone, Advanced Auto, or PepBoys getting $199 for a rebuilt one that will fail in short order.

I need to clean out my garage and start doing some LR parts recycling I guess.