Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Am I on the right track with P1316 code?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

The high idle is probably from the IACV cleaning. Not only do you clean the pintle (pin) but the port seat as well. If the seat aint shiny bright silver color it aint clean.

Anyways....... you have not found the problem yet if it's still basically running like crap.

Check the wires going to the Crank Position Sensor and you might as well check the sensor cuz it's there and a whole bunch of fun to remove. Be careful. You want to see the tip, if it looks unmarked your good. The wires and insulation because of the proximity to the exhaust have a way of becoming stripped of insulation and grounding. There's a method to my madness and I have to rule out one sensor at a time and you'll get acquainted with your Rover like never before on a Heep.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
There's a method to my madness and I have to rule out one sensor at a time and you'll get acquainted with your Rover like never before on a Heep.
I hear you brother. And again... I really appreciate it. Definitely at this point I wish I had a liiiiittle more experience with these beasts. Oh well... I wanted to get my knuckles dirty on a truck again, and here we are!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Camel Trophy

Yep, here we are. Did the previous owner take the truck into a wrench palace before offing it? How long did they own it for? Did they spend any money on keeping it running?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:00 PM
Mudding

Yep, here we are. Did the previous owner take the truck into a wrench palace before offing it? How long did they own it for? Did they spend any money on keeping it running?
PO had bought it to replace his former '98 that he wrecked (which I'm considering buying for parts). Said he didn't have it too long, and no history of recent maintenance. He Thought it needed cleaning out and a tune up. I know it's a Colorado truck.

I had to tighten up the valve covers and exhaust flanges. It appears to have newer valve cover gaskets. Aren't the aftermarket ones rubber and have the tabs that stick out? Or is that factory?

A bunch of other stuff seems original. Like the O2s for example.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Mudding

Well sure enough... I fired the beast up just now and I have it idling right on point just like it supposed to: right around 700 rpms.

And the fuel pressure while idling is holding fast at about 32 psi. I checked fuel pressure again because i realized that I had read it wrong the last time. So now I have confirmed that fuel pressure under idle is 32 psi.

For now it's idling way it's supposed to. Also the wires to the crank position sensor are in good condition.

Incidentally, I had just called a Land Rover shop and asked if I could bring it in on Monday morning. Beast must have heard that.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Mudding

Sorry I posted too soon. The truck is still running bad though. when I turned it off to remove the fuel pressure gauge and started it up, it was back to idling at 2000 rpms and driving on the stree like crap. Then I turned it off and on again in the idle came back down. Still think I'm gonna take it in. Get a proper diagnosis.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm good with taking it in, enough putzing around. If we haven't uncovered the source in 37 posts something is beyond our reach without a hookup.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Mudding

I'm good with taking it in, enough putzing around. If we haven't uncovered the source in 37 posts something is beyond our reach without a hookup.
Yeah. I agree... seems like mine isn't like the 20 other threads I e read about this issue.

Also the tech I talked to said it was really odd to get a 1316 without also a specific cylinder misfire or some other trouble code. He said they'd be able to get more info with their machines than a basic OBD2 scanner.

That sound right?

Slightly off topic... it's JCs British in Englewood CO. anybody on here have experience with them?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't know much about those Accel wires. If your looking for a great quality set of wires in the future try Kingsborn. I've run them on my last 3 trucks. They are great quality and won't break the bank.

I've been watching your thread. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Mudding

Well I dropped 'er off at JC's last night. Interestingly... she drove just fine all the way over there about 30 minutes. No codes popped... No excessively high idle... pretty smooth acceleration.

Any chance that a little 44K finally working its way through the system has "cleaned" up some "stuff"? Can I be that lucky?

Quick Reply: Am I on the right track with P1316 code?