Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

annoying Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default annoying Idle Problem

I have been chasing down this idle problem for a while now and I think I have established a pattern...

Cold start - Starts up fine ad runs until it gets warm. Then it dies when in drive and foot on the brake. it will run in P/N or by goosing the throttle a little. NO CODES.

Warm Start - Runs fine.

The funny thing is.... When I experience the problem, I can turn it off for a couple of minutes (the key MUST be in position 0) and it will start just fine. If I dont do the "reboot", it will maintain this problem until it guts shut off.

For instance.... This happens to me every morning. I take my son to day care about 1 mile away. With the two minutes it takes for me to go inside and drop him of, it starts and runs just fine all the way to work (9 miles).

On the way home, I can make it to the first stop light, turn it off, and then start it again when the light turns green and I am fine all the way home.

I have been suspecting the IACV. I have cleaned it out as well as all the breather vents. It just seems strange to me that it would fix itself after turning it off. Seems like something electronic.

Thoughts?

Old 09-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried checking the MAF sensor? I've been having a similar issue, although mine's more of a throttle issue, and I can't even start mine without unplugging it, so I'm working on getting another one to replace it. If you haven't, try seeing what happens, if it drives better when the MAF is unplugged then something's wrong with it. Although you probably already knew that. Also try checking your vacuum hoses, I know when I checked mine they were split at the ends so I cut them and hooked them back up and the idle sounds better now.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling

I have cleaned the MAF, but not recently in regards to this problem. I'll try disconnecting it and see what happens.

I did track down vacuum hoses in the past and replaced most of them. I replaced the two breather hoses from the intake to the valve covers recently with new parts.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Update on the MAF...

I took a look at vacuum lines and found the usual split in the line running to the cruise control. Sniped 1" off and re-attached. Then unplugged the MAF. Started her up and it ran like crap; misfires etc. I turned it off and plugged it back in... It was idling at 2,000 RPM. I unplugged it and it settled down. I got a CEL on the way home. I plugged it back in when I got home.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Several days, not change in status.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

CRUISE LINES are irrelevant separate vacuum source not engine

maybe need iacv and reset ecm? got an ultra gauge?
whats tps reading?