Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Another Water Pump / Fan Question (Sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Water Pump / Fan Question (Sorry)

Hi everybody. So I did my due diligence and read through the archives but could not find any information on exactly what I need. I also read the procedure in the RAVE. I am mechanically inclined and have done numerous water pumps on other vehicles throughout the years...

So here it is... My water pump literally came apart. I ordered a new one (1994-2004 Land Rover Discovery Water Pump – Replacement REPL313502 - OE replacement, mechanical) It showed up just as the picture shows, with 3 threaded holes to secure fan/clutch/pulley assembly.

I was able to remove the old pump, easy enough. So I go to remove the old fan/clutch/pulley assembly to be refitted to the new pump and this is where I got frustrated. Since I want to simply swap the entire old fan/clutch/pulley assembly to the new unit, I did not remove the fan and clutch from the pulley. I went straight to trying to loosen the 3 bolts that secure the entire assembly to the water pump flywheel. With a wrench, I could not for the life in me get any of the 3 securing bolts to budge, I gave it pressure just shy of stripping the head of the bolt.

So here are my 2 specific questions and of course, any other feedback is welcome

1) does removing the fan and clutch first make any difference in removing the pulley from the old water pump?

2)Are these 3 bolts known to rust inside the securing plate/flywheel on the water pump?

A million 'Thank Yous'!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how you do it.

With the belt still on (or with a strap wrench) and in place remove fan and clutch.

Loosen 3 bolts that hold on the pulley

remove belt

remove 3 bolts completely to remove pulley

remove the 500 bolts that hold on the old water pump

using RTV sealant and a gasket (if you choose to use one) fit new water pump and reverse all steps above.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK now that Jake has addressed how to correctly change it out, what do you think about the overall quality of the one that you bought? The price looks good, what about the wp itself? We see a lot of variation from maker to maker on all "OE replacement parts".

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-16-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the replies...

So my original WP was blown apart. The shaft that drives the internal propeller is all a part of the disk that the pulley bolts to with the 3 bolts. It was no longer in the vehicle. The nut that holds the while fan and clutch assembly to the threaded portion of the aforementioned water pump disk, was completely frozen. I broke 1 vice trying to put enough pressure on the water pump disk so I could turn the nut.

I finally ended up cutting the old disk away with an angle grinder... then with the assistance of a couple pairs of vice grips, another vice and a couple leverage bars, it finally broke free!

Anyhoo, The new WP itself is great. It looks to be well crafted and fit perfectly. I would say that I have fully tested it but now found I need a new expansion tank, to boot. Oh the joys!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

With all this fun be sure fan blades have cupped sides toward engine, and serpantine belt route is correct. BTW, if you have not replaced the fan clutch plan on it. When you original pump cam apart did fan fly off and damage rad (some times fins can be "combed" out) or hood?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Take pics!

When something like that happens, it helps all of us if you take pics!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Overlanding

Hey guys.... thanks for the replies.. I would have taken some pics but it was approximately 147 degrees here last Saturday and I think my camera would have literally melted! In all honesty, I thought about it but was too stinkin dirty, messy and greasy to go get the camera, none the less use it. Sorry for that. So anyhow on the my comedy of tragedies...

Expansion tank showed up off Amazon last night. it fits perfect. I took her for a test drive and she started smoking a couple miles in... I take her back to the house to find a stream of oil pissing out of the joint that connects the oil lines to the oil cooler affixed to the front of the radiator. Im taking it this is a common problem, too?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry, that towel bar is for tranny fluid, it would be red coming out. May be O ring. Oil cooler is right hand side of copper radiator, tranny cooler is left side, and towel bar is all alone if all you have is a manual tranny.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 rad view.pdf (847.5 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-19-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: ooops
Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Overlanding

Oh man, it looks like you are correct. I am shooting a stream of oil out from the union between the tranny line and the 'towel bar' tranny oil cooler on the passenger side. I wouldnt say the fluid coming out was 'red' per se, but then again, I have NO idea how old that stuff is.

I guess I'll have to tear it all apart this evening. Oh the joys!

Just to confirm, when the RAVE talks about 'Transmission Oil" its referring to red tranny fluid, right?