Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel tank question....sorry

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank question....sorry

Ok I got my flame suit on.

Ok so I just purchased a 96 discovery. My first land rover ever. So the other day I got around to filling up the tank. As I was filling it up I hear this waterfall sound and look under the discovery to find probably 10 dollars worth of gas on the ground.

I did some research I found the recall, so today I contacted my local land rover dealer and the said that the recall service had been prefromed. So I guess here is my question. Is it the tank that needs to be replaced or is it the vent tube. Now when I left that gas station it only pumped enough to make it 3/4 of the tank.

Thanks and sorry for this stupid question

Old 07-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

A clogged vent hose will cause the nozzle to repeatedly trip and shut off.
This can usually be fixed by adding a couple of teaspoons of fuel injector cleaner in to the small vent holes in the filler opening. I do it every 6 months or so.

If you have fuel pouring out on the ground you have a major leak. Get under and see where it's coming from.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Drifting

It has been raining like crazy here in fl the last few days(when i get out of work and want to check for the leak). I plan on sometime tonight going under there and feeling around the tank for a leak.

I guess my question is if any of the hose are cracked would it start to spill out even if the tank is not full? Or can i pretty much count on it being the tank bad?

This is my daily driver so i can't really be with out it for to long and don't mind doing this work myself.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Drifting

the other reason why i am asking is because i don't want to buy a tank if i don't need it or go through the hassle of returning it.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to poke around and find the real problem. I had a cracked filler hose on mine (dry-rotted). I saw that and replaced it before it got any worse.

It could be a variety of things. I would make sure the insurance is good and light a match......

Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 AM

And since it is a Daily Driver, I hope you have a very flexible work schedule....

or throw a little scooter in the back.....

Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Whether it leaks when partially full or not depends on what's leaking and where.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

or throw a little scooter in the back.....
there is a scooter i could ride to and from work lol, i just don't really want to and that is a last resort option.

what should i be looking for when checking around underneath with out dropping the tank. I know that the obvious would be a crack in the side of the tank. What else would be a sign of something that is going bad?

Old 07-24-2012, 12:06 PM

I would get underneath with a good light and visually inspect the fill tube and vents along with the fuel lines. Keep in mind the fuel pump does pressurize the entire system as a by-product of it being a sealed system.

When you remove the fuel cap, does it hiss really strongly or not. To me the hiss shows the system is holding pressure. Others will argue.

Lift your rear caprets and the thich pad and you will find the plate that provides access to the fuel pump and lines. Remove the screws and take a look at the top of the fuel pump.

Mine had a severe crack in the plastic at the top of the fuel pump where the metal lines come thru the plastic. That required a fuel pump assembly replacement.

My feed tube was dry rotted and I replaced that. My hard fuel lines were corroded so badly they looked like swiss cheese, so I had to hand form and replace both the feed and return lines all the way to the engine bay.

Time to get a creeper and put in some time getting to know and love your Disco. It is a great bonding experience for both of you!

You will have to investigate and see what you find.

Most leaks will tend to make the system lose pressure or they will spray like a fire hose when the pump is working.

A split tank would not work very well or very long in my opinion so I doubt that is it.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank question....sorry