Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

anti lock light on

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by martin12
Well finally got around to trying the blink method again. Starting to drive me crazy. No blink at all, might have flickered a little maybe I was starring at it and imagined it who knows. Tried pulling both fuses under the hood to at least kill the light no luck. I guess wishful thinking on my part. It's the only light on the dash so I figure I should at least clear it then move on to other things. I don't guess if I happened to fix the problem by cleaning the sensors and making sure there pushed all the way in will make the light go out? Is there a reader that will read the 98 abs codes or is that a dealer only thing? Thanks
The blink method worked on my 98; the OBDII plug in mine was mounted up side down, so be sure you have the right pins. I used a switch as a jumper so I could turn it off to erase codes as I read them without having to get down there to remove and reinsert the jumper each time.

My codes were 2-6, 2-8, 2-12, 2-14, 4-12, 4-14, 5-12, 5-14, 6-12, and 6-14.

2-6 is faulty stoplight switch (I have since replaced it) and 2-8 is “No voltage to ABS solenoid valves – faulty valve relay or wiring”. The rest are left and right front sensors too much gap, bad wiring, high resistance, or no output.

I tapped the the front sensors down and my light went out for a short time but then came back on and now it occasionally goes out after driving a short distance but mostly stays on. I also usually get a "kick" of the brake pedal when starting and sometimes during low speed braking - I can both feel it and hear it when it does this.

I haven't checked the codes again since re-seating the front sensors, but I suspect they will be the same front sensor codes as before. What I did do was cut a little circle of blue masking tape and stick it over the ABS light so it is not so bright at night.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Ignore the color coding stuff in my post - I didn't put it in and I couldn't edit it out

Old 02-13-2015, 06:02 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good, I'll try it again today after work. Might just cut the wire leading to pin 5 and 15 and touch them together. I think I'm not getting a good connection when I try with a paperclip or a piece of wire. I think my plug is also upside down where as 16 is on the top left and 1 is on the bottom right.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by martin12
Sounds good, I'll try it again today after work. Might just cut the wire leading to pin 5 and 15 and touch them together. I think I'm not getting a good connection when I try with a paperclip or a piece of wire. I think my plug is also upside down where as 16 is on the top left and 1 is on the bottom right.
Before cutting the wires, I'd suggest sticking a couple of straight pins through them and connecting the straight pins if you think you're not getting good contact with the pins in the OBDII plug; that plug is useful intact for checking engine codes.

I've thought about buying a OBDII splitter from Amazon so one half could be set up with a switch for ABS codes and the other half for connecting my Ultragage. I am not too worried about the ABS light being on after reading all the problems some folks have had with it not braking at low speeds; still it could be useful if it worked correctly.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good idea to try using some straight wire to make a better connection. I tried tapping into the wires cutting the insulation off the wires (wire 5 was black and wire 15 was white with a pink stripe). Still no change so I'm thinking that there must be a relay that goes somewhere in there. I might pull all the relays from the passenger feet and see if anything changes. Well I read the horror stories bout the brakes myself, lots of factors involved I'd like to fix it right.