Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Any one want to convince me not to get 245/75/16 Definity MT's

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
I like the 265's, just due to the fact I will be mostly on the freeway. The trails to our property isnt that extreme, but I do want to play in the mud occasionally. Airing up the tires will help with MPG's on the freeway. Plus, the bigger tires will look better on the new wheels, with that offset. There will be trimming, definetely.
Sounds about right...so 245 or 265, that is the question. I think.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Pro Wrench

To clarify, can I drive out the PEP Boys with the 265/75/16's or I need to make the cuts first...gee that sounds dumb. Nothing else tho right? I'd really like to see those two tires side by side....maybe I'll make the PEP boys stack em for me.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you could drive home with those tyres on, just take it easy to make sure you don't rip anything up.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
Lot to think about here but reality is I don't do any offroading and probably woudn't do much unless I got another truck as DD. Sand capability is a plus. Rocky roads and the occasional ditch is good too.

Don't want to mess with gears. Prefer not to cut or do brake lines but I could for the right reasons.

Really, I'm going to go for these Definity's as any other tire is going to cost me hundreds more. I may do a last minute take it or leave it at Firestone or BFG but they usually leave it on those offers. There's no chance for shipping anything but if you ask to one more time Wheel, I'll call.

Still thinking. Lot's of good points and surely learning. Thanks.
Most tires will go on sand. It's more of a question of driving technique and tire pressure. Really any A/T or M/T will be adequate for your needs.
Don't worry about brake lines, I'm not sure where you got that idea but I've had 265/75s and 235/85s with stock brake lines and no issues.

Sounds about right...so 245 or 265, that is the question. I think.
If you don't want to re-gear or cut, I think the real question is 245 or 215. 215/85 will require absolutely no modifications whatsoever from what I have heard. Narrower = cheaper, better gas mileage. Either way, stick with a 31. I would love to run a 215/85 on mine but needed the extra 1/2" of clearance under my diff.

To clarify, can I drive out the PEP Boys with the 265/75/16's or I need to make the cuts first...gee that sounds dumb. Nothing else tho right? I'd really like to see those two tires side by side....maybe I'll make the PEP boys stack em for me.
If you get 265s you may be fine for gentle street driving, but your truck will be an absolute dog. Also gas mileage will suffer. Don't go any bigger than you need as these are rather capable stock.

If you do get 32s of either flavor (235 or 265) bring tin snips, vice grips, a sharpie and a ruler in case you have to do some trimming and bending. You'll snag your body work the first time you go over some major bumps. But you should be okay on the street.

EDIT, sorry Chris-Bob, just noticed that our posts crossed.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 03-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Yeah it's somewhat of a regional thing for sure. I've never wheeled in PA. All I'm getting at is I've never seen a 265 go where a 235 can't with otherwise identical rigs. I'm guessing there may be a situation out there somewhere where that would be true though. A lot of people here run wide tires for the same reasons you are stating, and joke about my "pizza cutters" but I must say it hasn't hurt me on the trails.

There is a good chance that the mud in your area is sticky enough that all that extra floatation is needed. Then again, look at what they used for the Camel Trophy.

Oh and the balloon tires are on the two ****** Jeeps in my sig pic. They are geared so low they can't go above 50. Now that I think about it the fact I could pass them on the dunes must be a 4-cyllinder and shorter wheelbase thing. They aren't that slow, they're just build more for rocks than anything...
I agree but when you start to get taller, you'll want wider tires for stability.. Especially in off camber situations.. But I guess military trucks are taking the hard line when off roading

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Actually, a 40"x14"R20 is a narrow tire given it's height and the weight it is designed to support.
It would be the equivalent of a 355x70R20(if I did the math correctly) About the same as the narrow stock tires we run, only bigger.
This is true I wouldnt call the stock rover tire narrow. I'd call it about average.. I also wouldnt really call a 40x14 a "skinny tire" but I also wouldnt want to run a 40"x8.5" tire hahah

You will have no problem driving home with a 265/75 as long as you have 2" lift. Do not try articulate the truck as the tires will not stuff in the rear wheel well and bend the rear quarter panel. I call this "the camel bend"

Old 03-27-2012, 11:12 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
This is true I wouldnt call the stock rover tire narrow. I'd call it about average.. I also wouldnt really call a 40x14 a "skinny tire" but I also wouldnt want to run a 40"x8.5" tire hahah
I'll agree with you on those points. 40"x8.5" would be fun, though

Old 03-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Slang, I feel you completely, I too am try to achieve the most all around with the least outlay of cash and additional work. I would price the 235/85 and compare them to the Definity.

I had a 67 Chevy window van with a 283 in between the front seats. I put some 15 inch MT's on the back of it and could power slide thru alomost anything. But Mud tires will dig really bad in sand from my experiences.

In sand I think the wider flotation tires are better than GraveDiggers that put you bottomed out on the frame.

I agree with avoiding a gearing change also for your needs as well as mine.

Did you plan on new wheels? The stock ones are only 7 inches wide, I do not know what the biggest is that is safe on them. That would be the llimitations there. But all the website should show what size rim is required.

Did you look at sites like TireKingdom or even Summit Racing or 4WD? You do not want to buy 2 sets because the first ones were not a good choice! What chain store do you have down there. NTB has buy 2 get 2 free!

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-27-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I had a 67 Chevy window van with a 283 in between the front seats.
I love that engine.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Danny...you've had a nice assortment of vehicles for sure. Very diverse.

I'm keeping these wheels, most likely painting them and I'm nearing the end of my mods....I think. If I ever get another daily driver I can consider going full boar on this one. Until then...we're almost done except for the little stuff....for now...I think.

I have the usual Autozone/Advance, PEP Boys here. The PEP Boys deal is too good and let's me be impractical on MT's as long as they are the Definity's. They are a bit like wearing K-Mart sneakers but the black walls with a little mud and I can deal with that....especially since I'm not an offroader yet. I hear ya' wheelgarage on the name and all.

I looked a lots of sites and ya just can't ship tires to PR without getting killed. Tired of looking and comparing.

I was going to wait until I finished all the body work both so I didn't have to worry about messing up the tires and as a motivator but I think it's just time to layout the cash and up my ride.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
In sand I think the wider flotation tires are better than GraveDiggers that put you bottomed out on the frame.
We were all on M/Ts or rockers for this trip, running between 6 and 18 PSI. I was on 265s at the time but have been back with my 235s with no problem. These dunes are over 500' high, some say 700ish, with lots of loose stuff.

Land Rover Discovery at St. Anthony Sand Dunes - YouTube

But I agree, A/Ts will dig a bit less. If I were building a desert-only truck I'd stick with BFG TA/KOs. 215 would perhaps be too narrow for sand, but anything 235 and up is fine IMO.

Quick Reply: Any one want to convince me not to get 245/75/16 Definity MT's