Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Any one want to convince me not to get 245/75/16 Definity MT's

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
OK deal. Next mod is to make a custom steering guard for the D1 and front bumper for my D2.
I tried that with Tyler also. I got all jacked on his bumper post, then asked him for the world. Well..from our discussions, it would be best to let him graduate first.....then we can harass him later....

Good choice on the 245's. Before I picked the 265's, I was actually aiming for 255's (which I personally like eons ago). Too bad they are tough to find in an MT....

Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
I tried that with Tyler also. I got all jacked on his bumper post, then asked him for the world. Well..from our discussions, it would be best to let him graduate first.....then we can harass him later....

Good choice on the 245's. Before I picked the 265's, I was actually aiming for 255's (which I personally like eons ago). Too bad they are tough to find in an MT....
Haha no worries. I'd love to fab sliders and steering guards and bumpers for everyone but I am trying to tie up loose ends and then start a career. Still, if I could get a good enough vacation out of the deal I might consider it. A while ago I was pitching for a road trip to Alaska...

Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Bridgestones are 235/70. And they look little on there now, that is probably what you have now as well. Are you buying 4 or 5 since your spare is probably 235/70 and 16 years old if it is original.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
235/85s are great but you'll feel the power loss.
I've read some of your posts and I'm leaning heavily toward the "Mountain Goat size" but I've never heard you mention power loss. Is it bad? I'm going to go with a 2" TF light duty, maybe medium duty, but I'm afraid of driveline issues and I want a comfortable ride. Will the medium duty lift the truck that much more?

Anyway, back to tires. I don't want to drive a dog or regear, or do anything except maybe replace brake lines. So for me, I won't go bigger than 255/75-16 and you were really selling me on the 235/85. Your thoughts?

Last edited by 98D1Chap; 03-27-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 98D1Chap
I've read some of your posts and I'm leaning heavily toward the "Mountain Goat size" but I've never heard you mention power loss. Is it bad? I'm going to go with a 2" TF light duty, maybe medium duty, but I'm afraid of driveline issues and I want a comfortable ride. Will the medium duty lift the truck that much more?

Anyway, back to tires. I don't want to drive a dog or regear, or do anything except maybe replace brake lines. So for me, I won't go bigger than 255/75-16 and you were really selling me on the 235/85. Your thoughts?
I just know it's gutless, but I'm used to it. I'm more referring to my general experience with every vehicle I've ever owned - install a larger tire, feel the power loss. It was bad on my '89 F-150 before I re-geared. Had 285/75-R16s, stock was 235/75-R15. Similarly my Ranger is a little race truck on 195/75-R14s.

My Rover is still very drivable, much better than the F150 was. No problems at all getting up to and staying at interstate speed. No worse than can be expected for a vehicle with 3" larger than stock tires...

If you already are used to 255/75-R16 and are in the market for new tires, you won't feel a difference at all going to a 235/85. What you little you lose in mechanical advantage you'll make up for in decreased weight and rolling resistance IMHO. The diameter is only a hair bigger and they should tuck better.

I doubt you'll have driveline issues with a 2" lift.

EDIT: I don't know why everyone thinks brake lines are an issue. I mean it's only lifted 2" and the brake lines were already designed for articulation. I replaced the brake lines with extended stainless steel/neoprene lines on my old F150 after lifting it 5" but at that point it was just barely a concern. If I were to replace brake lines on my Disco I'd only do it to increase stopping power (ss/neoprene lines have less internal loss less than rubber).

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 03-27-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Three Wheeling

If you already are used to 255/75-R16 and are in the market for new tires, you won't feel a difference at all going to a 235/85. What you little you lose in mechanical advantage you'll make up for in decreased weight and rolling resistance IMHO. The diameter is only a hair bigger and they should tuck better.
I'm riding on stock size but my suspension is sagging bad and might as well go for the small lift. Ditto on the tires, they need replacing soon and might as well go with something a little bigger to go with the lift. Like you, I've always liked the military look of tall, narrow tires. I'll either go with the GY Dura Tracks or the Treadwrights.

Pretty soon I'll be posting my own "convince me not to buy "Mountain Goat size" tires.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Winching

I'm riding on stock size but my suspension is sagging bad and might as well go for the small lift. Ditto on the tires, they need replacing soon and might as well go with something a little bigger to go with the lift. Like you, I've always liked the military look of tall, narrow tires. I'll either go with the GY Dura Tracks or the Treadwrights.

Pretty soon I'll be posting my own "convince me not to buy "Mountain Goat size" tires.
LOL. Good call on Goodyear Duratracs or Treadwrights. I love both. Frankly I'd go for the Treadwrights unless you are planning on airing down regularly, I was happy with mine but wouldn't submit them to that abuse. You already know I'm a fan of BFGs and Firestones, about the two meanest and cleanest looking streetable muds out there IMO. But I can't hate on the GY, they're nice too.

My decision to get my BFGs was based on the criteria of "which mud tire is best for year-round use considering Idaho's frequent snowy/icy road conditions". Basically I wanted something I could wheel hard with but that wouldn't get me killed in the winter, and I had had it with A/Ts slipping all over the place on muddy/wet trail days. The KM2 has great winter performance in my experience and that was a big part of the decision. Same is true of the Destination M/T. This cannot be said of every mud tire, but in Texas I doubt that's a concern.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 03-27-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Three Wheeling

LOL. Good call on Goodyear Duratracs or Treadwrights. I love both. Frankly I'd go for the Treadwrights unless you are planning on airing down regularly, I was happy with mine but wouldn't submit them to that abuse.

My decision to get my BFGs was based on the criteria of "which mud tire is best for year-round use considering Idaho's frequent snowy/icy road conditions". Basically I wanted something I could wheel hard with but that wouldn't get me killed in the winter, and I had had it with A/Ts slipping all over the place on muddy/wet trail days. The KM2 has great winter performance in my experience and that was a big part of the decision. Same is true of the Destination M/T. This cannot be said of every mud tire, but in Texas I doubt that's a concern.
I'm in deep south Texas and my truck will see nothing but mud, gravel and sand, in that order. I'm an hour from the island and there are no rocks anywhere. Forget about snow or winter for that matter. The temperature drops below freezing for maybe a few days a year. Maybe. You still recommend the Treadwrights? MTs? My off roading will be done about 50% on sand.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Winching

I'm in deep south Texas and my truck will see nothing but mud, gravel and sand, in that order. I'm an hour from the island and there are no rocks anywhere. Forget about snow or winter for that matter. The temperature drops below freezing for maybe a few days a year. Maybe. You still recommend the Treadwrights? MTs? My off roading will be done about 50% on sand.
Well, Treadwright has a good warranty and is good to work with, but they claim their warranty is voided if they air down. I'd guess that's enforced on the honor system, I'm not sure how they'd know unless you told them. Check out their website, call and talk to them, see what you think.

I don't know how much you have to air down on the sand where you live, have you been there much with your current setup? The dune sand where I live will suck you in to your axles almost before you hit the gas if you drive on it fully inflated. But I've heard of/seen some people driving on sand other places without deflating so I really can't say.

Some people run Treadwrights aired down routinely with no issue, just be aware that the warranty won't technically cover you. If you put lots of miles on your rig then a re-tread makes perfect sense. I put fewer than 4000 miles a year on mine so I wanted to start with a brand new carcass.

Really, I recommend looking at them. If you're comfortable with the tech then go for it. I had them on my old truck and was happy with them. I'll probably use them again in the future.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Winching

Statement from Treadwright:

Inflation: DRIVING ON ANY TIRE THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE CORRECT INFLATION PRESSURE IS DANGEROUS. Any under inflated tire builds up excessive heat that may result in sudden tire failure. Under inflation can cause many tire related problems. Under inflation results in an overloaded tire resulting in decreased fuel economy, sluggish handling, and excessive shoulder wear, and also causes heat buildup which can result in catastrophic tire failure! Therefore, use a reliable air gauge to check tire pressure.

https://www.treadwright.com/t-faq.aspx

Quick Reply: Any one want to convince me not to get 245/75/16 Definity MT's