Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Any one want to convince me not to get 245/75/16 Definity MT's

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
Danny...you've had a nice assortment of vehicles for sure. Very diverse.

I'm keeping these wheels, most likely painting them and I'm nearing the end of my mods....I think. If I ever get another daily driver I can consider going full boar on this one. Until then...we're almost done except for the little stuff....for now...I think.

I have the usual Autozone/Advance, PEP Boys here. The PEP Boys deal is too good and let's me be impractical on MT's as long as they are the Definity's. They are a bit like wearing K-Mart sneakers but the black walls with a little mud and I can deal with that....especially since I'm not an offroader yet. I hear ya' wheelgarage on the name and all.

I looked a lots of sites and ya just can't ship tires to PR without getting killed. Tired of looking and comparing.

I was going to wait until I finished all the body work both so I didn't have to worry about messing up the tires and as a motivator but I think it's just time to layout the cash and up my ride.
Just get the Definity's then, sounds practical enough. AKDisco told me he had to do a mild camel cut for his 245/75s. 235/85s are great but you'll feel the power loss. 265/75s, same story but will break the bank comparatively, reduce turning radius, tuck worse, weigh more, etc. Also price and look at 215/85s to see what you think. Nothing wrong with a cheap tire, you'll be happy with those.

And post pics! I'd love to see your rig.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Chris-Bro...that's a great tire comparison tool. They all look like "low profile" tires tho...what's up with that?

I'm getting there...

Attached Thumbnails Any one want to convince me not to get 245/75/16 Definity MT's-tire-comparison.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Winching

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Chris-Bro...that's a great tire comparison tool. They all look like "low profile" tires tho...what's up with that?

I'm getting there...
I think the graphics are all wrong, lol.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, the graphics are generic, and wrong.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Pro Wrench

nice update on the avatar!

height and width on graphics looks ok i think.

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
If you don't want to re-gear or cut, I think the real question is 245 or 215. If you get 265s you may be fine for gentle street driving, but your truck will be an absolute dog. Also gas mileage will suffer. Don't go any bigger than you need as these are rather capable stock.

If you do get 32s of either flavor (235 or 265) bring tin snips, vice grips, a sharpie and a ruler in case you have to do some trimming and bending. You'll snag your body work the first time you go over some major bumps. But you should be okay on the street.

EDIT, sorry Chris-Bob, just noticed that our posts crossed.
SUMMARY: So, I think I should forget the 265's ( I'm already going to be impractical with the MT's and 2" lift) for my purposes as nice as they look and all and while I know you want me in 215's, I can't get them at PEP Boys and I'd like a little beef.

My math says that I'll get about 1.5 inches more height from the 235/70 to the 245/75's. The knobby will look good too. I'll have some wheel well to show my TF springs and the mother in law won't ask me for rides anymore. I'm good.

Lastly, I'm 46, not 64 and not 16 so I think that's where I should be.

Don't worry about Chris-bob..he's unlikely to be offended unless you sneak up from behind on him.

Most fun thread ever (of mine), thanks. I'll try and do it for Monday.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Winching

nice update on the avatar!

height and width on graphics looks ok i think.

SUMMARY: So, I think I should forget the 265's ( I'm already going to be impractical with the MT's and 2" lift) for my purposes as nice as they look and all and while I know you want me in 215's, I can't get them at PEP Boys and I'd like a little beef.

My math says that I'll get about 1.5 inches more height from the 235/70 to the 245/75's. The knobby will look good too. I'll have some wheel well to show my TF springs and the mother in law won't ask me for rides anymore. I'm good.

Lastly, I'm 46, not 64 and not 16 so I think that's where I should be.

Don't worry about Chris-bob..he's unlikely to be offended unless you sneak up from behind on him.

Most fun thread ever (of mine), thanks. I'll try and do it for Monday.
245s it is! Glad we could help not convince you otherwise.

Please post pics please when it's all done, we'd love to see it. I only mention 215s because when available, they are generally cheap.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
245s it is! Glad we could help not convince you otherwise.

Please post pics please when it's all done, we'd love to see it. I only mention 215s because when available, they are generally cheap.
OK deal. Next mod is to make a custom steering guard for the D1 and front bumper for my D2.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Winching

OK deal. Next mod is to make a custom steering guard for the D1 and front bumper for my D2.
Hey, cover a vacation for two to Puerto Rico and I'll fab the steering guard and bumper!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Pro Wrench

shipping a bumper to PR is $300 or more as I recall which is why I don't have two to four new bumpers. not sure what the guard would cost. i could probably rent the welder but facilities would be rustic at best.

otherwise I am able to do deal for pretty prime housing.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey I agree with your choice, enough tire to go practically anywhere you need to (or should go) and the Mother-in-law factor is a big one. Mine could not get up into the RamCharger I got in Denver, it sat so high on Mickey Thompsom 35's.

And the 280ZX2+2 sat too low for her so both of them were great. It is sort of funny how I basically stumbled from one unusual car to the next as I wandered the world trying to stay employed.

The Chevy Van was a mobile garage I bought off a teen aged friend who lived across the street from my parents. I kept my Yamaha 500 in it when the squadron had to go to sea. It just happened to have a factory upgraded motor in it (double humper hypo 283). John bought it from a farmer who used it to haul stuff on his farm.

The Ram Charger had been fixed up by my supervisor in Denver and he chewed me out because my 74 Cutlass Supreme could not get me to work and I called off. Then he practically gave me the RamCharger. It had a hugh lift and Mickey Thompson wheels and tires worth more than I paid him for the truck. I found out why when I had to buy gas the first time!

The 280ZX2+2 was a direct result of my lawyer asking me if I really enjoyed the car I was driving when my ex-wife decided if I was an Engineer in Florida, she needed more child support. The lawyer told me I needed to rent a bigger house and buy a newer car. I took his advice.

I bought one new car when I was in the Navy and could only afford the base model Gran Torino 302, not the Gran Torino Sport Cleveland 351 I wanted. And I hated the color of it. My ex-wife wore it out while I was at sea in the Navy.

After that, I kept spoiling myself by buying used but rather unique cars whenever I could find one at a good deal. The Benz was due to my Bronco breaking down right in front of an Exotic Car Emporium. I bought the oldest but nicest vehicle in the showroom. A few weeks later when I was having them service it, the mechanic told me I could take his wife's 928 to run some errands while he worked on the Benz. I bought it for my wife that very night.

Like a kid in a candy store.

Quick Reply: Any one want to convince me not to get 245/75/16 Definity MT's