Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Auto gearbox oil temperature

Old 12-13-2017, 04:31 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto gearbox oil temperature

Morning all. Hope you're all good on this frosty day?
I'm a newbie so apologies if the question is a bit lame or has been asked before. I did a quick search but couldn't find what i needed so thought its best to post here.
I recently replaced the auto gearbox oil cooling lines as one had sprung a leak. As they had not been touched for a long time they had fused onto the cooler, which in turn disintegrated.
I bought a new upgrade cooler and new pipes, which are all now fitted. But i would now like to measure the temperature of the fluid in the lines and have a gauge in the cab.
I have seen there's a sensor built into one of the cooler lines, but mine is not connected, would it be a case of buying a gauge and measuring using this sensor or is this just an alarm sensor when its too hot?
My disco is an N reg 300tdi Auto ES

Old 12-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by droidbrew
Morning all. Hope you're all good on this frosty day?
I'm a newbie so apologies if the question is a bit lame or has been asked before. I did a quick search but couldn't find what i needed so thought its best to post here.
I recently replaced the auto gearbox oil cooling lines as one had sprung a leak. As they had not been touched for a long time they had fused onto the cooler, which in turn disintegrated.
I bought a new upgrade cooler and new pipes, which are all now fitted. But i would now like to measure the temperature of the fluid in the lines and have a gauge in the cab.
I have seen there's a sensor built into one of the cooler lines, but mine is not connected, would it be a case of buying a gauge and measuring using this sensor or is this just an alarm sensor when its too hot?
My disco is an N reg 300tdi Auto ES
My guess is it would be the temp alarm light. You can buy a standard sender and matching gauge from somewhere like VDO and hook it up yourself

Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 PM
4th Gear

That's what i was thinking, but i didn't know if there was anyone on here who had done it already.
Also the sender thats screwed into the pipe is very short, and most other senders i've seen have been quite long. Like the ones you put in the sump for oil temperature.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

do you have a link where to buy an upgraded AT cooler? my one is all patched up and i might as well resort to replacing it with a more efficient one. TX!