Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Back Again No Start Alarm??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Back Again No Start Alarm?? ** Solved**

This (insert choice words here) truck!!!
Made the mistake of tying up wire and relays off the floor on the pass side as it has bee working well for a few months. I must have bumped something the wrong way and the 4 way flashers went off, and now the truck won't start. I pulled all the wiring back out and still same thing. I tried the door key 5 times, and then 7 tines, but no change. I am going to leave it sit with the battery disconnected for a few hours and see if that helps. The immobilizer light is not on or flashing.

I have a feeling that the door lock (key) is probably not connected and the 2 remotes I got with the truck never did work. Open to suggestions...

Just to refresh your memory, Alarm module replaced, Computer replaced 1999 D1 with 140K miles and lots of patches on the wiring I have gone through them and made sure they were solid and correct. .

Last edited by jimvw57; 08-08-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

OK.. I found the problem......

When I reconnect the battery, the flashers start going off.. I turned the ignition key to the "on" position, then connected the battery, the flashers went off.

As for the no start, When I turn the key, I do hear click from the pass side floor. I then thought 'Maybe I should make sure it is in park' sure enough, when I was moving things around, it moved out of park. pushed the shift into park and it started right up. (insert more choice words here)

To clarify, I swapped out the ignition switch months ago and used a manual trans lock assembly so it no longer is tied to the shift mechanism. The shift indicator on the console was destroyed (before I got the truck) so I replaced it. In the process, the console mounting points were already damaged and I secured it the best I could. it doesn't always stay in park, so I always use the parking brake to keep from rolling off with nobody inside. This is why I did not notice it was not fully in park.

With the history on this critter, I assumed it had reverted back to old habits. (I know shouldn't assume) so now, the floor is clear of wires and relays, I stole the side panel off the other truck, and it is starting to look presentable.