Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bad Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010 | 10:43 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Bad Starter?

Truck has left me stranded for the second time this summer far from home. First was the fuel pump. This time I pulled up to a gas station, fill up and now it won't even crank. So I check the battery, connections which were both good. For the heck of it, I even hooked it up to a battery jumper and no go.

All you here is a click from the starter. I am thinking it is the starter, or solenoid, which I believe is attached to the starter. For this reason I had it towed to a shop because if it is the starter I don't have the time or energy to do it in my apartment complex (it looks like a real pain in the a$$).

Will likely get a diagnosis Tuesday but thought I would pick your brains if you felt it could be something else. I personally don't recall starters failing very often on these trucks but I could be wrong.

Also, I am tired of being stranded with no starts and my AAA towing miles are all used up. What other items can I replace as I approach the 100,000 mile marker that are likely to fail so i can be proactive?

I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel relay (relay as preventative only - did not fail) and now looks like the starter. Anything else you would recommend I change out? I am tired of being stranded and frankly it is becoming embarrassing.

Old 09-06-2010 | 11:06 AM
Team Owner

Could be a corroded cable on the starter.
Have you read through this?
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33418

Old 09-06-2010 | 11:24 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the link Spike. Going to look into one of those Nipon Denso starters as well as a new positive battery cable from AB.

Going to have them install the new cable with the starter just in case. http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AMR4803AB.cfm

Old 09-06-2010 | 06:11 PM

Cable is most likely candidate, I would replace it before the starter. i bought a used starter, mine turned out to be the cable connection from starter to frame.

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:04 AM
Camel Trophy

one thing to keep in mind is your park switch. Sometimes if it isn't all the way up, it will just give a tick. Did you try to start it in neutral too? Just another thought...

Old 09-09-2010 | 09:11 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Just thought I would follow up. It turns out the positive cable to the starter had corroded significantly internally. I cut a cross section of it and it almost turned to dust.

Replaced that and she starts up great. Starter, battery, and alternator were all tested and found to be normal. Also cleaned contacts of the negative cable from the starter to the frame.

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2010 | 09:14 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
one thing to keep in mind is your park switch. Sometimes if it isn't all the way up, it will just give a tick. Did you try to start it in neutral too? Just another thought...
That had occurred to me as well. Ya I had tried to start it in Neutral. As always thanks for the input OKDiscoguy and everyone else for the thoughts/help.