Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Battery warning light

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery warning light

Yesterday the red battery warning light came on dash. Battery seems fine. terminals tight and clean. Starts up w no problems. Any ideas what to look for?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Check engine block ground straps and all grounds to frame. The light is "Battery Charging" so if all grounding is fine then the alternator is next so check the connections (3) on the back. You could be loosing the alternator.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok, bought new battery and alternator. I can't get the damn tensioner bolt loose! My box wrench isn't long enough for me to get some torque on it. Can't fit a socket on bolt because the fan is in the way. I know these are dumb questions but I am not a mechanic just have enough tools and knowledge to be dangerous. Please advise you guys that ARE mechanics. I found a breaker bar on auto zone but that's only for sockets.

Is the obvious answer pull the fan off? I hope not!

Old 06-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Put box end of wrench on nut. Attach another box end (smaller) to the open end of the first one. You now have an extension to push on

Old 06-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Camel Trophy

3/8" breaker bar comes in handy. Takes I believe a 15mm socket, put it on the pulley bolt head at about at the 10 O'Clock and pull to your right, towards the drivers side of vehicle. Lotsa spring pressure. I usually put my bottle jack handle on the breaker bar and that makes it less than a pound of pull. That loosens belt tension. There should be just enough room to squeeze the socket and breaker in between the fan and belt. Nice they included a removable center in the fan shroud.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dusty1
Put box end of wrench on nut. Attach another box end (smaller) to the open end of the first one. You now have an extension to push on
That's too advanced, need to take baby steps......field repair with one phillips screw driver, a 9/16" combination and a jack knife 101 will come....lol.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
3/8" breaker bar comes in handy. Takes I believe a 15mm socket, put it on the pulley bolt head at about at the 10 O'Clock and pull to your right, towards the drivers side of vehicle. Lotsa spring pressure. I usually put my bottle jack handle on the breaker bar and that makes it less than a pound of pull. That loosens belt tension. There should be just enough room to squeeze the socket and breaker in between the fan and belt. Nice they included a removable center in the fan shroud.
Holy crap! Pull to the right?! Uhhhh that may be the problem!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

The belt can be routed 2 ways, 1 is wrong so pay attention, alt is like a 10 minute job

Old 06-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Thanks so much for the tip I was trying to take the nut off! Like I said I am not a mechanic. I am a moron with tools and love my Disco so I'm sure I'll be back with more stupid questions later.

Thanks for the help the alternator is in and works perfect. Battery light gone started first time. Hardest part is getting the belt back on.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TOM R
The belt can be routed 2 ways, 1 is wrong so pay attention, alt is like a 10 minute job
10 minutes ha maybe for you. Rookie = 45 minutes, wire connector broke too so had to change that.

Quick Reply: Battery warning light