Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake advice needed

My 97 D1 has been leaking brake fluid slowly, but steadily for a while. Every couple of months I was topping it off and a couple times it went to the floor. To me it looked as if the fluid was coming from underneath the reservoir. There appeared to be hairline cracks in the plastic and I figured the gaskets underneath were in need as well. There was no fluid at or under where the master cylinder joins ther servo unit. I finally got the money/time to deal with it so I got the brake fluid reservoir renew kit from AB and set to putting it on. As I was putting the new reservoir back on (having cleaned everything nicely) I noticed a bubble or two of brake fluid coming from the joint in the master cylinder where one of the reservoir gaskets sits (there are two cylinders welded to the top of the master that hold the reservoir gaskets - it was one of these weld joints). So as I put pressure downward on the gasket the fluid would bubble out a little. I now believe that is where the leak is. In the photo it's on the right, and you can see how the brake fluid is bubbling the finish up on that side. Anyhow, what do I do now? Do I have to get a whole new master cylinder or is there any JB Weld type stuff that could withstand brake fluid?

Attached Thumbnails Brake advice needed-rover_brake_leak.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

New (or used if you want to go that route) MC. I wouldn't try any JB weld on a MC unless I was hundreds of miles from the nearest replacement.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, any recommendations on where to get a new one? Do I need a LR brand one (I've heard of trouble with aftermarkets)?