Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake Proportioning Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Proportioning Valve

Do D1's have one? I ran into an odd problem. Hooked up my small utility trailer w/my 4-wheeler in it(maybe 1k lbs total).

And by time I got to my riding spot, my rear brakes were litteraly smoking hot. After riding, went home, same thing.

Thought maybe they were dragging. Unhooked the trailer, went for a ride, no overheating rear brakes??

Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, it's on the inner wheel well under the MC.

Sounds like you definitely have a problem. I've towed my heavy flatbed trailer a number of times without the trailer brakes and not had any issues at all.

Last edited by antichrist; 03-21-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. Now, if my understanding is correct, that valve sends more braking power to the rear wheels when it senses a load in the back(lower rear end than normal)?

And I'm sure it's not a fix anyone would recommend, but I could just by-pass it? Or does it actually reduce pressure in "normal" mode?

Old 04-22-2018, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine did the same on front actually caught fire on left wheel (grease ?)

Originally Posted by kenk
Do D1's have one? I ran into an odd problem. Hooked up my small utility trailer w/my 4-wheeler in it(maybe 1k lbs total).

And by time I got to my riding spot, my rear brakes were litteraly smoking hot. After riding, went home, same thing.

Thought maybe they were dragging. Unhooked the trailer, went for a ride, no overheating rear brakes??
Front brakes did same for me so hot seals failed on one front caliper. Changed calipers and hoses front. No fluid to front so changed master cylinder- now just left front has no pressure - is not the hose. Anybody any ideas. Prporining valve?

Old 04-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

proportioning valve is there only to reduce the amount of pressure to the rear wheels ...no real "sensing" involved....just a general reduction in pressure to keep the rear wheels from skidding.....most brake systems put the majority of pressure to the front wheels...the M/C likely puts out equall pressure front/rear so thus the need for the valve....the ABS does the rest( if it works)

Old 04-23-2018, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could cause no pressure to the left front wheel- new hase was fitted.

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
proportioning valve is there only to reduce the amount of pressure to the rear wheels ...no real "sensing" involved....just a general reduction in pressure to keep the rear wheels from skidding.....most brake systems put the majority of pressure to the front wheels...the M/C likely puts out equall pressure front/rear so thus the need for the valve....the ABS does the rest( if it works)

No pressure to left front wheel. New hase fitted to new caliper- ABS jumped to 12 v to turn mechanism- still no pressure to left front

Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonpen1

No pressure to left front wheel. New hase fitted to new caliper- ABS jumped to 12 v to turn mechanism- still no pressure to left front
well....first try bleeding the left front caliper....do you have fluid / pressure when you do that ?....if so, I would suspect a stuck caliper