Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brakes clunk in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update: Problem appears to be solved

A month or so back, I swapped out radius arm (both sides), and panhard rod bushings, as well as rear radius arm bushings (both sides). We have had a couple of solid rains this summer, and I feel I can confidently report that the "clunk" is GONE.

It has been gone since the front-end work, so it was likely radius arm or panhard rod. Hopefully this helps anyone else puzzling through similar symptoms.

Cheers.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also read that a power steering leak above that bushing well result in damage to the bushing, so if any of you have such a leak, do not ignore it or you may be facing bushing replacement as well.

Did you get around to doing the serp belt and cooler lines or do you want to buy me a round trip ticket?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I also read that a power steering leak above that bushing well result in damage to the bushing, so if any of you have such a leak, do not ignore it or you may be facing bushing replacement as well.

Did you get around to doing the serp belt and cooler lines or do you want to buy me a round trip ticket?
Yup. I have a PS leak, though it is mostly a trickle. Nevertheless, it is on my short list of replacement items before the end of the summer.

Serpentine belt done! Cooler lines done! Both were super simple, and now the only thing leaking on the LeakyDisco is the PS box and lines. If I fix that, I might have to change my handle!

I also want to replace the rotors, pads, and service/replace wheel bearings. I'll consider flying you out for that, but you will need to bring the beer.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris, I would really love to vist Bainbridge Island. I used to fly from Florida to Seattle then drive up to a little test house north of Seattle that we used to verify parts testing when I worked on the Cruise Missle Program back in the 80's and 90's. I think it was Everett Washington if my memory serves me correctly. Loved those Dungeoness Crabs. If that 's how it is spelled. The place we ate at even had it's own fleet of fishing boats. They were right at the docks. Great seafood. Much better than Florida had.

I would be happy to come up and do a brake job for you. I will buy the beer there. I remember there were quite a few excellent local Brew Pubs in that area. I am sure that is better than Iron City Beer made here in Pittsburgh.

I would even be willing to help you with that BugEye Sprite as well. A cousin of mine lives somewhere out there in Washington State. She keeps posting pictures of Mount Olympia on her FB page.

Take care. I would be happy to fly out and assist you.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-27-2011 at 10:18 AM.