Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bumper options - Front and Rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mattrickman
Thanks again everyone. I am ordering the Rockstar front and rear bumpers. I personally like the tube look and it looks like the approach/departure angles are good (that is what I didn't like about the HLC's).

And now I can sound smart explaining the DOM nature of my radical new bumpers. Will post some pics here in a month once I have them on. (does anyone have any suggestions /advicefor trimming the rear 1/4 panels?)
Cool. I told Brad he'd probably be getting some inquiries after your post. No, I don't know him, I'm not an owner and I don't own any of his products so no flaming.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

./subscribed completely.

While I personally don't like the aesthetics of the tube bumper, the angle of approach is commendable. A while back (year or two) I got an OEM brush guard for the looks, and light points. I jacked up my front fog light surround in a grocery store parking lot in a fire hydrant incident, and for a while was thinking about cutting out the fog lamps. If I left the OEM bumper, added a recessed winch at some point, I would still have a crappy approach angle in the center. I find fault with most of the aftermarket bumpers in one way and am waiting to find someone to make something aesthetically and functionally appealing.

Geek, I fully support you, and look forward to your ideas.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So if somebody want's to explain what the approach angle is that would be awesome. I understand "the approach from which you are heading" and i get the basic gist (ty google) but why does it matter so much? And what exactly are we looking for? Strength, Durability, Awesome angle, winch capacity, AND a decent price?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rockstar bumper looks sick..im doing a poor mans now. Not everyone needs to pull a jeep out of a ditch. I like to leave em there. Just know what your pros and cons are.

LongHauls rig is the *****.

I drew up a bumper thinking I would have my D1 and D2 done. I'm still thinking. DiscoMike made his own and I'm sue would be happy to share. Check his threads. Anything Lucky8 sells is probably pretty good.

The approach angle is how you slip into bed after a full on night out to not wake your wife.

Attached Thumbnails Bumper options - Front and Rear-bumper.jpg   Bumper options - Front and Rear-bumper2.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattrickman
Looking to replace the front and rear bumpers on my 95 D1. Was originally going to get some High Country Bumpers - but they closed up shop.

Any options other than spending $2k+ on Rovertym.

I don't weld - nor know anyone who does, so unfortunately I can't make my own..
this is what I'm running I just got the base unfinished added my own grill guard. it fits great easy install great service great price I have nothing but good things to say about C4x4...
C4x4

I just need to get ride of the ugly windshield wiper fuild bottle.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GreedyRover
this is what I'm running I just got the base unfinished added my own grill guard. it fits great easy install great service great price I have nothing but good things to say about C4x4...
C4x4

I just need to get ride of the ugly windshield wiper fuild bottle.
Not bad but the tubing looks like an afterthought. I like the first one without the tubing but protection might be an issue. maybe a combo of light guards and the first one would look best.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Pro Wrench

i just reread...your grill guard added to it...let's see......

Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Use an angle grinder or cut off wheel to trim the fenders. A sawzall will cause the fender to flop around while you're trying to cut.
Approach angle is measured from the front of your tires to the part of your front .bumper that hangs out the farthest. Approach angle is basically the steepest incline you can attempt to climb without scraping or having your front bumper hit.
Geek, good approach angle on bumpers is achieved by keeping it as slim as possible and by sucking it into the truck as much as possible. On a winch bumper it is always a compromise. For maximum approach angle with a winch one will have to trim their grill. However, many people don't like to do this. Departure angle is probably just as important, especially with the rear overhang on these trucks. Unfortunately, the D1's have frame horns on the rear bumper which makes sucking the rear bumper in difficult. That and many people don't want to cut the frame horns and hitch receiver to improve their departure angle.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
The Rockstar bumper looks sick..im doing a poor mans now. Not everyone needs to pull a jeep out of a ditch. I like to leave em there. Just know what your pros and cons are.

LongHauls rig is the *****.

I drew up a bumper thinking I would have my D1 and D2 done. I'm still thinking. DiscoMike made his own and I'm sue would be happy to share. Check his threads. Anything Lucky8 sells is probably pretty good.

The approach angle is how you slip into bed after a full on night out to not wake your wife.
Pulling Keeps out isn't the problem. Pulling out these heavy Disco's is.
Check out Tactical Rovers, they're making some pretty good looking stuff.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
i just reread...your grill guard added to it...let's see......
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...inished-43837/

Quick Reply: Bumper options - Front and Rear