Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

California Emissions - Evaporative Controls = Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Again From the Sunny HOT Riverside, CA...

Danny Lee - I really do hope that my tank does not have cracks - Do you or anyone reading, know if the "tank cracks" were visible and or along the seams of the tank?

Anyways, I visually and fingerly (is that a word) inspected the single EVAP line that runs from the filler tube to evap canister. No cracks or breaks in the line that I could find.

I did pull the carpet and found out that I am not the first person to try to access the fuel pump - The PO or mechanic actually cut a flap in the carpet padding above the fuel pump access. I removed the access cover and noticed, immediately, the smell of gas. Which is part of what the vapor system is supposed to handle -

Is this an indication of a cracked tank and/or a bad seal between the fuel pump enclosure and the cover?

Any advise and information is highly appreciated!!

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 06-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since your vehicle has an old style, open evaporation system, all the SMOG test does is check the gas cap. Replace the gas cap. You can also take the Failed Emission result back to the place that did the test and ask them exactly why it failed.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Well - I am going to start a new thread - It would seem that I definitely have a leak - Filled her up this morning - and lots of fuel poored out -

Seems to be coming from the top of the tank -

In Peace and Agape,
Trav..

Old 06-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The vent/breather hose is done, which will need to be replaced. The hose attaches to the filler to the top of the tank. You will need to drop the tank to gain access to it. It mostly cracks at the curve to the filler, right at the braket.

The cost of that hose can range from $45-$98. The cheapest was Conventry West. In my other post, I opted for a HiPo hose, which was a BBIIIAAATTCCHH to install, just due to the fact that is was a super reinforced hose.

If you want an easy install get the factory replacement....