General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Evaporative Emissions Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evaporative Emissions Failure

Hi guys,

So I have a code indicating an Evaporative Emissions failure on my vehicle. It's no big deal, but as it turns out I need to get my vehicle e-tested within the next week or so, and that fault will cause it to fail.

I am aware that the canister guilty for this error is attached to the subframe of my vehicle, and can apparently be cleaned out by dumping the fuel out of the container. However, I am unsure if I have time to do that (although I'll try) before the test happens. As such, I was wondering if it is possible to clear the code and then quickly go in and get the vehicle tested before it trips again. I will replace the unit, as I'm not trying to cheat the system, it's just that I don't think I have time between now and then to properly fix the problem.

Are there any other ways I can try to get around that? Say I do remove the unit and dump it out, and it doesn't clear the problem, what then? Also, when I do remove the unit to clean it, is there any procedures I must take first? Does the tank need to be empty (it's at about 1/3 now)?

Any help would be appreciated.

- John

Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

how about a code first. that can help you more then just talking.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a large leak code on my late 1999 P38 (I can't remember the code) that I ultimately fixed by pulling the purge valve and spraying it out with carb cleaner but before I figured that out, I needed to pass emissions. I also had a problem with a battery drain on the truck at that time and after leaving it unused for a weekend, the battery was dead. It was the end of the month and my inspection was up so I figured I'd just jump start it and take it into the garage and get a rejection sticker so I could avoid getting a ticket while I fixed whatever was causiing the code. To my surprise, when they plugged their computer into the OBD port it didn't register as having just been reset even though the shop I went to is maybe 4 miles form my house. It passed inspection, got my sticker and went on my way.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
how about a code first. that can help you more then just talking.
The code is P0455

Thanks,

Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a large leak in the system, either caused by a bad gas cap, loose gas cap or a leak in the emission system. You can throw on a new gas cap, at the same time, clean up the tube to make sure its sealing properly with a little emery. If its still leaks have it pressure tested with an emissions tester to see where the leak is coming from.