Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Calipers for Vented Rotors on a D1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Calipers for Vented Rotors on a D1?

hi all,

i was browsing though the Rovahfarm Disco pages looking for my next project and i noticed that there are brake calipers labeled as D1 Vented Disk Conversion.

I wasn't aware that there is a different caliper for vented/non-vented rotors and can't seem to find any other references via an online search. Can anyone fill my knowledge gap? Do i need new calipers if i go with vented rotors? what happen if i don't?

Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Those calipers are for doing the Brake Upgrade to the DEFENDER Rotors/Calipers/Pads.
I'm sure there is a write-up/info on here somewhere.

The BASIC difference in the Defender Caliper is the Spacer Block (see pic) that allows you to use the vented rotors,
which are WIDER than the DI solid rotors.
Vented Rotors WILL NOT fit on a standard DI Caliper.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

As OverRover said, the vented discs will only fit Defender 90 calipers and pads.

They are a strong upgrade over stock and fit with little effort. You will need new pads, rotors, and calipers. To mount them you may need to trim your brake dust shield at the top edge where it is near the caliper, as mine made contact when I mounted them(only about 3/8" of dust shield was removed with tin snips), and you may need new brake hardlines depending on your original line condition. The new calipers have their fitting in a different location than the Discovery 1 so you will need to massage/bend the line to fit. I took this route. You can also buy a 12" section of brake line with the correct flares and fittings at napa and bend it to fit if yours is not up to the task of massaging.

An important note, Defender 110 calipers are ALSO an upgrade with larger pistons and better clamping force and will work with standard Discovery 1 brake discs. The way to differentiate between the Defender 110 and Defender 90 brake hardware is to note the spacer block which is pointed out in OverRover's photo

Old 07-26-2018, 05:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completed this upgrade myself about 3 weeks ago. Aside from the fact that one must pull the hub assemblie to replace rotors on these trucks, it was fairly simple. One caveat I am saving for a separate post is bleeding the system after opening it up with fresh calipers, etc. I have a soft brake pedal, and clearly some air I can't seems to get out of the system, but again, I'll post that separately.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! Thanks all! Apparently i was using the wrong search terms here. i followed a few posts in the "Related Topics" below and now i am much more informed. Seems like this is a worthy upgrade when it's time. My truck pulls a little to the left and the rotors are worn and rippled enough to need replacing in the near future, but not quite unsafe yet.

I did notice that in all the threads i read, all had the ABS removed/disconnected. Can one do the upgrade and keep the ABS?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, it will have no bearing on ABS functionality.

I have seen people mentioning putting D1 front calipers on the REAR as an upgrade or using Defender rear calipers as well, which apparently run afoul of the ABS sensor back there. Not 100% on that and I have never seen a write up or definitive evidence of it