Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

camshaft moving...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation camshaft moving...please help!

Hey guys, my partner and i just bought our first disco...only to have her break down within the first week the OH is very good mechanically and has a mate belping him but we are seeking any advice, suggestions or links to suggestions.....

the disco is a 1992 tdi 200 with a rebuilt motor,, only 400 kms done. After taking it for a nice 800km drive and changing oil ect . it seemed to drop a valve !!! after removing tappet cover we found number 3 intake push rod not moving. so we remove head and then find NO problem with cam followers . After removing followers we found cam has MOVED !! about 20mm. in general we have also found lots of other loose nuts bolts and so on .. i think this guy i bought it off put it back together himself.

What is the quickest easiest way to put cam back in place we have full manual, but very limited for time. We bought this beauty because we have been offered a job up on the Gibb river rd and need to be there on the 23 rd april. It is heart breaking to be ripped off like this, but hoping someone can suggest some ideas and options.. engine and rest of discovery is in great nick ..and we love it

i will post piks (suggestions of what exactly i need to take piks of will be helpful) as the boys work on her today.

thank you,

Mel & Tim

Old 04-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

To post a pic open a free Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing account, upload your pics, then copy and paste the "img.code" into the post, the pic will show up once you post the thread.

I am not to familiar with the TDI, but my best guess is a new cam and cam bearings.
Thats what you would need to do with a petrol engine.