ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

May be moving to NY State. So help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Post May be moving to NY State. So help please

I'm ready to move out of New Hampshire and thinking about somewhere in New York state.. Think Ive seen several forum members here who reside there plus Lucky 8 and Atlantic British are based there. Also most of my family lives in New Hampshire/Vermont, so NY seems like the most practical state to move to if I wanna get more involved in the LR enthusiast community. I also have alternative interests in New York area but thats another story.

So to all NY members, whats it like? Wheres all the Rover action? Where is the middle ground between city life and good old country living? Id like to be within an hour or two from New York city, close to the ocean and have access to good jobs.

I have been doing alot of google research, but with no inside knowledge of NY its difficult to pin point a general location within NY to isolate my research. Eventually Id like to buy an older 35ft + long Pace Arrow mobile home and live year round at a camp ground, but for now Ill have to settle with temporary living at an apartment or something.

I'm still working up in Alaska but Ill be coming back to the east coast in late October.

Last edited by TRIARII; 08-27-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In the City -

Name:  ccvlR.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  88.8 KB

Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You are asking for a lot. 1-2 hrs from NYC and near the ocean. I would look at Long Island or central/western New Jersey. Be prepared to pay a lot for real estate and property tax. I live on Long Island and commute to Manhattan (1 hr 45 mins door to door). There is no where to legally off road on LI. NJ is closer to Rausch Creek Off Road park. Other is an NJ Land Rover club (they have a website).

Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

do these mods and central park is a playground.

on coming traffic............. little rocks?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

NJ is not a pratical choice as I want to be somewhat close to family back home in NH and VT. Cities are not for me as far as living is concerned so I'm looking for smaller town. Could be 2 hours from NYC, I could live with that. Surely Justin of Lucky 8 knows some places in NY to hang with Rover buddies lol. I won't be dealing with property tax unless of course apartments and year round campgrounds charge proterty tax with rent! I'm not buying a house or anything, just relocating on a tight budget...... seeing how all my recently earned wealth went straight into my Disco...

Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Rockland, Putnam, or Dutchess Counties.

If you're on a budget, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, and NYC are essentially off limits, unless you can tolerate living in the hood.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
NJ is not a pratical choice as I want to be somewhat close to family back home in NH and VT. Cities are not for me as far as living is concerned so I'm looking for smaller town. Could be 2 hours from NYC, I could live with that. Surely Justin of Lucky 8 knows some places in NY to hang with Rover buddies lol. I won't be dealing with property tax unless of course apartments and year round campgrounds charge proterty tax with rent! I'm not buying a house or anything, just relocating on a tight budget...... seeing how all my recently earned wealth went straight into my Disco...
You want to be 2 hrs north of Manhattan to be close to VT. I would look along the CT/MA/NY border. You won't be close to the ocean. Lucky8 is outside of Buffalo, approx 6 hrs to NYC. Albany is a little over 2 hours to NYC without traffic and not too far from VT. Atlantic British is about 30 mins north of Albany.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Stay away from mid state. Boring and nothing going on. Either the WNY area or Albany area. Saratoga Springs, White Hall, Glens Falls are all nice areas a few hours north of the City.