Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

CannibalV8 - Buyer beware

Old 03-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CannibalV8 - Buyer beware

The pictures reflect what my new CannibalV8 5.0l BG Signature engine with "turnkey" installation looks like after just over 1000 miles & $12,000.00 invested. Steve Johnson personally cranked up the RPM's in front of me telling me "that's where the engine was happy", to cover the oil light & bad rebuild of the front cover. When I demanded it be repaired later that evening & the following day, he blamed it on the pressure sensor and told me not to worry about it as the pressure was good by mechanical gauge, and to put a piece of tape over the light if it bothered me; the oil pump has subsequently failed. He took my good (non-leaking) radiator & installed a replacement (leaking) radiator, padded the bill with numerous now known not to be true to add-on's to jack up the final bill. Now, a month after he initially agreed to repair the engine at his cost and make it right under warrant (both verbally and in writing), he just avoids my calls, replies with meaningless emails and texts, or promises to call back later, but never does.

Attached Thumbnails CannibalV8 - Buyer beware-img_2026_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware-img_2041_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware-img_2039_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware-img_2040_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware-img_1879_resized.jpg  

CannibalV8 - Buyer beware-img_1843_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware-img_2027_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware-20160214_074318_resized.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
drowssap (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

so you bought the whole ball of wax, engine, front cover and installation was all done by cannibal V8?

an when you complained about the oil pressure and the oil light coming on he told you to cover the light with tape?

and you paid him $12k for the 5.0 stroker and installation, and the answer was put tape over it?

if your oil pump looks like that after 1k miles imagine what your other bearing surfaces look like.

I dont know what to say, but get a good lawyer.

Last edited by drowssap; 03-03-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Steve Johnson personally cranked up the RPM's in front of me telling me "that's where the engine was happy", to cover the oil light & bad rebuild of the front cover.
ಠ_ಠ
That's... something.

Folks, for future reference, if the engine can't maintain proper oil pressure at idle, something's wrong. If the builder tells you the above, ask for a refund right then and there and go somewhere else.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
so you bought the whole ball of wax, engine, front cover and installation was all done by cannibal V8?

an when you complained about the oil pressure and the oil light coming on he told you to cover the light with tape?

and you paid him $12k for the 5.0 stroker and installation, and the answer was put tape over it?

if your oil pump looks like that after 1k miles imagine what your other bearing surfaces look like.

I dont know what to say, but get a good lawyer.
Yep, bought the whole ball of wax, was dumb enough not to have pushed it further when he said the mechanical gauge showed good before taking posession of it. Yes, he said put tape over it, and yes I have a very good corporate attorney on retainer.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by wrongway1
Yep, bought the whole ball of wax, was dumb enough not to have pushed it further when he said the mechanical gauge showed good before taking posession of it. Yes, he said put tape over it, and yes I have a very good corporate attorney on retainer.
I would think one well crafted letter from your attorney should have "small time" making an about face on this.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

How the f does it cost 12 k installed for a d1 engine?

Old 03-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
$171 to install $20 worth of motor mounts to a frame where the motor is already removed.

$91 to rebalance front driveshaft even though the customer had a brand new Tom Woods in the truck, waiting to be installed.

$168 to recondition Rear Taillight guards that cost $130 brand new

$88 to just install a coolant reservoir, even though the motor, radiator and hoses are out of the truck.

$450 to recondition a front cover that costs $400 brand new

$102 for new front diff fluid and regrease swivels, even though the drain plug was still completely caked with mud from MAR and ROTR and was never removed.

Little stupid **** like that which adds up and inflates a bill.

Last edited by WNYErikDiscoII; 03-04-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

What a complete nightmare. You don't put 12k into a Discovery unless you plan for it to last a very, very, long, time. Wow. Condolences for your loss.

You should be able to get satisfaction. Since you got the whole enchilada there's really no wiggle room for Cannibal in a dispute.

Oil pump nightmare!

Old 03-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

The best thing u have going is they started the engine first time so can't claim u or your mechanic f it up

Old 03-06-2016, 06:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TOM R
Hey Tom, we talked about this at Rovers on the Rocks. I wanted the horse power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CannibalV8 - Buyer beware