Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cannot shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot shift out of park

I have read the previous post regarding this topic but I think I need to revisit it...sorry. I have a 1998 Disco Series I. My problem is like others in that it will start but will not shift out of PARK even with the brake pressed. My brake lights DO come on. This is the wife's daily driver and she has been driving it without issue. I have tried rocking the vehicle, thought being a gear was stuck. No luck.

Someone posted taking off the shift cover and checking for a loose "clip". From what I can tell I need to removed the center console in order to get the cover off but I do not see how it is clipped on.

Can I bypass the electrical safety switch's?

Cheers.

I just finished taking off what I believed to be the brake switch. It is the switch closes to the floor with a vacuum line and two prong wire. After removing it I tested my 'brake' lights and they still worked. I then took another look under the dash further up on the brake peddle and noticed there appears to be another switch? In the rover service manual I am using it did not make mention of this second switch. My guess is that the one I removed is for deactivating the cruise control.

Last edited by DiscoGatorSeriesI; 11-16-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Additional comments/notes:
Old 11-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Try this: how do you bypass the brakelight switch
Look for what I wrote about jumping the wires on the cargo door. New Brake Light switches can be had for cheap, try RovahFarm.com

Old 11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiscoGatorSeriesI
I have read the previous post regarding this topic but I think I need to revisit it...sorry. I have a 1998 Disco Series I. My problem is like others in that it will start but will not shift out of PARK even with the brake pressed. My brake lights DO come on. This is the wife's daily driver and she has been driving it without issue. I have tried rocking the vehicle, thought being a gear was stuck. No luck.

Someone posted taking off the shift cover and checking for a loose "clip". From what I can tell I need to removed the center console in order to get the cover off but I do not see how it is clipped on.

Can I bypass the electrical safety switch's?

Cheers.

I just finished taking off what I believed to be the brake switch. It is the switch closes to the floor with a vacuum line and two prong wire. After removing it I tested my 'brake' lights and they still worked. I then took another look under the dash further up on the brake peddle and noticed there appears to be another switch? In the rover service manual I am using it did not make mention of this second switch. My guess is that the one I removed is for deactivating the cruise control.
What you need to check is on top of the shifter itslef, NOT underneath the console. take a small screwdriver, and pop the little cover off the top of the shifter **** itself. You will see a nut, a "slide" mechanism and a clip. It is that component that was suggested you check as THAT is what is activated when you push the button on the shifter and actually allows you to shift from park.

If you are able to physically move the shifter from park, but the transmission won't, then you may need to look at the brake/safety switch. the Neutral safety switch will not cause this symptom - it only controls the actual starting of the vehicle. (it wont turn over if the neutral safety switch is the issue, even with the vehicle in "P" or "N" - or WILL turn over in reverse, drive or ANY position when it shouldn't)

Oh - and it sounds like the switch you removed IS the Cruise Control - as IT is controlled via the vacuum line.

Last edited by groundandpound; 11-16-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Who was that masked Wolfsburg owner???

Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After removing it I tested my 'brake' lights and they still worked. I then took another look under the dash further up on the brake peddle and noticed there appears to be another switch?

You pulled the wrong switch, but if it still worked, it is not your problem obviously.

Sounds like the cable "stretched". That is what they were talking about, the fix is popping that plastic wooden trim piece of the top and tightening a nut if there is one there. Mine has a clip and no nut.

ALSO IF YOUR cdl SHIFTER IS SLIGHTLY OUT OF PLACE, THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER MAY NOT BE FULLY SEATING.

I have found that momentarily removing the ground cable and then putting it back can get the interlock to release. Try that.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM
6th Gear

Thank you everyone!!! Update:

I will try out these suggestions and report back accordingly. btw I did find the correct 4-pin brake switch. I am going to try the bypass and check under the shifter handle....and it wouldn't hurt to try disconnecting the ground cable.

Cheers.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Who was that masked Wolfsburg owner???
LMAO - I just can't seem to say "Goodbye"

Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
6th Gear

I was able to get the brake lights on with vehicle started but it still would not shift out of park into gear. Regarding the pin/clip under the shift handle pho-wood grain cover. The half-round pin with metal clip are in tack. When I press the thumb button on the shift handle it moves freely without touching the the pin/clip. The pin/clip look like it should touch the edge of the thumb button piece and lift up?

I did go ahead and order a brake switch from rockauto.com the OEM part # is ARM 2010. While I am waiting to the part to come in I am open to any other suggestions and I will continue troubleshooting the issue. Worse case I learn more about my Disco.

From my threads and others like mine the problem points to the brake switch so I am hopeful. The difference for me seams to be that I DO HAVE brake lights ON.

Cheers.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the brake lights come on, that says the switch is good.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Did you try jumping the switch like I suggested? Get a short piece of wire or even a paperclip. On the drivers side of the cargo door are two plastic clips pushed onto metal spades. Jump these two with the wire. Sit in the seat and push the Rear Defroster switch on the instrument shroud. Can you shift out of park now? If so your switch is brake light switch is bad.

If not then you have other issues. When you press the brake pedal can you hear a sliding or clicking noise coming from the shifted console? If not then your interlock solenoid has gone bad. You can tear your console apart, remove the solenoid, and have it back together in 2 hrs. Of course removing it will mean you can shift whenever without depressing the brake pedal so beware.

Quick Reply: Cannot shift out of park