Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cargo Door Hinge Replacement - How to?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo Door Hinge Replacement - How to?

OK, if the answer is already in here, I could not find it, so forgive any repetition in this my first ever post on this forum.

Cargo Door Hinge Replacement - There is a lot of discussion about broken hinge pins, alignment issues, etc. And some threads about obtaining a replacement hinge for a Discovery I. But no one has said how to actually DIY!

I am sure the inside door panel comes off first, but what steps do I need to be prepared for after that?

Thanks,
RON

Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Heres the pages from the RAVE shop manual. From page 678 of 873 in the workshop manual if you have downloaded your own copy. Note that the door needs support assitance when you begin to remove it, any of the front four from Tiger offense should do...

RAVE stands for Rover Automated Viewing Environment, is a collection of factory shop manuals the dealer uses. We think it means Rovers Are Very Expensive. You can download the whole thing for free at links in my signature.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
D1 rear door r&r.pdf (1.22 MB, 568 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-10-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Buzz ... blazingly fast reply, thanks! And that makes it look simple so wish me luck. I also appreciated the suggestion to download the RAVE. I saw that in other posts and was not sure what it was

Thanks again!
RON

Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

fwiw....I replaced mine a couple of years ago AFTER the door fell off (almost) 300 miles from home.
remove the spare tire to lighten the load, have a buddy handy or at least a floor jack to help hold the door up ...remove the interior panel to gain access to the bolts....if you plan ahead you wont have to move the door very far so you wont need to remove any of the wiring....support the door and unbolt the hinges.... start all the bolts in the new hinges before tightening any of them....you can kinda see where the old ones were positioned ....snug the bolts a little and slowly attempt to shut / latch the door...when ya think its right , tighten the bolts....and put it all back together.

unless you park on a lot of hills, or have issues with a lot of wind in your area....get rid of the door "stay" on the bottom....if it hasnt failed yet, it will.

good luck !