Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

CATS soon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CATS soon?

Well I guess I will be looking at new cats soon. Heard that rattling sound and then popped codes P1314 and P1316. Looks like CATS?

Just bought some throttle body cleaner spray. Figured I would do that. The new plugs have only been in about amonth and are black. It had been running rich for a long time, and has 120K on original ones, so it's time.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You have more then bad cats if your plugs are black, what codes are showing up?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Baja

I have been working my way thru a few things, P1176 and P1178 HAD BEEN THE PRIMARY ONES, cleaned MAF they have not repeated, but I have had 1316, 1313, 1314 at times.

I will put in new plugs and clean the throttle plate and see what happens.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Bad cats wont cause it to run rich, but bad O2's will.
So will the wrong heat range spark plug.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Baja

I replaced the O2's and according to the live data on the loaner code reader at AA, they seem to be giving good outputs now. I plan on getting the UltraScan to continue closer monitoring.

I still have original air temp sensor and coolant ECU sensors. I may go ahead and replace them and closely monitor O2's. It ran rich for a long time, so I probably have a lot of residual effects present.

I noticed some "CAT Cleaning Majical Additives" recently for G2P Guaranteed to Pass and some similar cat cleaners. Anybody tried them?

I am looking at getting generic cats if I do have to do a replacement. Any input there?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Team Owner

They sell those GTP cleaners at AutoZone, I used it once on the wifes Volvo fingering it would clean it up after running to rich because of a bad O2.
I do not know if it worked or not.

As for cats, just any universal ones will do.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Baja

What Heat Range are you guys running. I recently put in the one that AA had listed in their machine. It's on a recent thread of mine on here. I was considering going to a slightly hotter one maybe? What would you guys run in it?

Also, I have not yet really looked at the vacumn hoses at the rear of the throttle body. Could a leak there be partially to blame?

I got to drive back to AA to borrow the damn code readwer again and see whih code popped now. I want to go ahead and buy another set of either thecopper champions or maybe the NGK?

And see what numbers I get from the O2's. I know there is a carbon build up from running rich for a while and my son using lower octane gas. I am sole driver once again and I been using only 93 Octane.

I need to study the RAVE on the Intake system before I go ripping it apart.

Are there any diagnostic test you guys would run before distubing the current conditions? Or is that overkill? Just to try a little scientific analytical methodology type stuff. It's so good, I hate to tear into something I don't need to.

Also any specific bolts I should verify tightness on in light of recent findings of Eric and A few others doing explorations into the Land of the Green Oval Innards? Brave souls we should honor and commend them. I will have a shot of fine Rum in celbration of your work.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Baja

Well I checked the code, It was P1316 again. Put in 8 new Champion Coppers.

On the last set I may not have snugged the down as tight as I should have. These havr a metal gasket (crush washer I guess). The box says to tighten a half turn more when using the meatal gasket or 1/8 turn without. I merely got them snug last time, maybe thats why there were slightly black at the threads and toward the electrode.

With the new ones I gapped them at .032. Tightened them snug by hand then tried to get that extra 1/2 turn. As luck would have it I snapped the neck on number 7 so I cleaned the old one and put it back in. Very carefully. I was using a short 3/8 drive with a flex joint by the ratchet head and I think I sideloaded the tip a bit, so when I tightened it I switched to a t-handle breaker bar and kept it very squarely seated. Not much room for access to those damn plug locations for my big hands.

Immediately popped a code. Went back to AA, runs really strong, P1316 again. I reset it. Checked with live data, both O2's show a high transistion time, way high.

Guess I need to replace them. Drove home with no codes.

Also replaced the small vacumn hose that goes from that rouynd siver thing to the port at the rear side of the plenum. The old one was pretty stretched out so I would be surprised if it were working at all. What is that hose for?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-25-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Team Owner

What did you have the old plugs gapped at?

Old 11-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Baja

They were set at 35ish. New ones I set right at 32. Snugged them down better. It fires right up, runs like a raped ape, but it just popped another code, most likely that P1316 again.

It did stumble at idle when first started. Smooths out pretty quick and accelerates strongly. Put some more Shell 93 octane and a small bottle of that Lucas Gas treatment in it.

Anyone else cured P1316 lately?

Quick Reply: CATS soon?