Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

CDL woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CDL woes

It appears I am having the same problem that this guy was having

My shifter really does not want to shift much at all not sure if it is just too gummed up or what but I went under the truck and it looks like a bolt is coming into contact with the bracket that shifts the CDL so that may be what is stopping me there. But I found a new thing to be concerned about today because I could not find neutral in the transfer case. When I shifted into what I had thought to be neutral the truck would still drive. I am about ready to just chuck the whole thing out of the truck.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated since I would ideally like to get this sorted before MAR and I only have 2 days to work on it til then.

Thanks!!

Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i'd pull the whole thing out and clean it up good, then pack it with some quality grease. i tried futzing around with mine for a while and ended up taking it out.. should have just done that in the first place. i would have been pissed if i had been harder on it and broke something. it works flawlessly now.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was stuck when I first bought my truck. I took it out and ended up having to beat the shaft with a punch and hammer to get it to move. I would beat it all the way to one side, used a fine grit sand paper to remove the rust and grease it. Then beat it back the other way and rinse and repeat. Eventually it was moving as smooth as could be. Once it was moving smoothly I packed it full of grease and reinstalled. Now 8 years later I can still shift in and out of Diff lock with a flick of the fingers.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MM3846
it works flawlessly now.
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee
Now 8 years later I can still shift in and out of Diff lock with a flick of the fingers.
Ok looks like I will be trying to pull it and clean It out. Once yours was disconnected was it still sticking like the guy in the video? Just trying to make sure I am correct in thinking the range of motion should be the entire box.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

at end of video it is still seized, remove it and disassemble the shifter, probly need to beat it apart with a lead or brass hammer , I did

clean, lube, reassemble

range of motion will be entire box

Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Awesome thanks for the clarification Tom

Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah what Tom said, it should easily move from side to side. It will be obvious once you get it apart and moving.

Mine was fully ceased and would not move at all w/o using a hammer and punch on the shaft that slides through the center. It slides through a bushing visible on the left side that is probably brass so if you use a hammer and punch like I did take care not to mark it up.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:05 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts
Old 09-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Overlanding

Great thread guys - thanks for the info. My shifter was completely seized. Was quite an adventure just pulling the clevis pins so I could get the linkages apart. But I've managed to rebuild it and its working great now - I finally have Diff Lock and Hi/Low back! Can't wait to use them.
Along the way I ran into a bad Transfer Solenoid which I removed. I've seen other threads and realize I can live without it but not so sure my 20 year old sons will be as careful so I want to replace it. Pretty expensive new part though ~$350. Has anyone tried to rebuild theirs? Anyone know if there are refurbs out there? I'd even go for used as long as its working.

I found this on youtube while doing my research for this little project - if you haven't seen it worth a watch, pretty darn funny.

I didn't follow his teardown approach

Thanks for any assist on the solenoid

Bob

Old 09-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BobE
Great thread guys - thanks for the info. My shifter was completely seized. Was quite an adventure just pulling the clevis pins so I could get the linkages apart. But I've managed to rebuild it and its working great now - I finally have Diff Lock and Hi/Low back! Can't wait to use them.
Along the way I ran into a bad Transfer Solenoid which I removed. I've seen other threads and realize I can live without it but not so sure my 20 year old sons will be as careful so I want to replace it. Pretty expensive new part though ~$350. Has anyone tried to rebuild theirs? Anyone know if there are refurbs out there? I'd even go for used as long as its working.

I found this on youtube while doing my research for this little project - if you haven't seen it worth a watch, pretty darn funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H0AM-SXwSY&t=40s

I didn't follow his teardown approach

Thanks for any assist on the solenoid

Bob

Dude! You dug up the old thread posted by the previous owner of my truck, thankfully he never got low range working...

I ended up pulling the solenoid out and it works 100%, definitely understand your hesitation about doing this with other people using the truck.