Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cheap Headliner Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stripped the fabric off mine, primed and brush-painted it with chalkboard paint (had to take it out of the vehicle of course). It looks great and no one even notices until I point it out since the black paint blends perfectly with the black interior accents.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
I stripped the fabric off mine, primed and brush-painted it with chalkboard paint (had to take it out of the vehicle of course). It looks great and no one even notices until I point it out since the black paint blends perfectly with the black interior accents.
The "olive" looks darker than the "tan" imo and I am definitely colorblind.

I'm doing a lot of flat black stuff in my truck. Can you show us a photo of the chalkboard headliner. Mine is out now.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got done reinstalling the liner in my truck, really only took about and hour to pull out on my own, then another couple hours to reinstall with a helper holding it up.

cost a couple hundred to get redone at a shop since it was already out of the truck... thats the route id recommend...

Old 09-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had redone the headliner in my VW corrado and its a pretty simple process. Pull the shell out, pull off the old material, get all the foam off with a stiff brush and then use a quality automotive adhesive. Spray the shell and the headliner material and then smooth it over.

I'm going to be redoing the one in my disco very soon as the the wife hates riding in the truck with it in its current state. She said if she had been buying the truck the headliner would have been a deal breaker.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by psykokid
I had redone the headliner in my VW corrado and its a pretty simple process. Pull the shell out, pull off the old material, get all the foam off with a stiff brush and then use a quality automotive adhesive. Spray the shell and the headliner material and then smooth it over.

I'm going to be redoing the one in my disco very soon as the the wife hates riding in the truck with it in its current state. She said if she had been buying the truck the headliner would have been a deal breaker.

ive done a handful of vw ones with various types of fabric all with great results. that was even with stretching the fabric and laying it down myself...
but the sheer size of the disco one and the many complex curves (especially near the end of the wide part by the front of the alpine windows) caused me to waste half a roll of material and a couple of hours before i just gave up and hauled it to a local shop for refitting. i even had a buddy helping with stretching the fabric and laying it down, but no dice. if i were to do it again, especially considering the price of the material i wasted versus what i ended up paying the upholstery shop, i should have just taken it in straight off and saved myself the time/money/hassle

also keep in mind youll need extra wide material - i bought mine from headliner express - as not just any old stuff will do like it did on your vw

Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that it requires the 64" stuff. A heat gun and some blunt instruments make fitting stuff into complex curves a lot easier.

On a different note, since your obviously a masochist owning vws and a rover, how's your other project british car moving along?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I pulled mine out quite a while back and do not miss it at all. Who needs a headliner in these old farm trucks anyway? Even with a pretty dress on, they are still pigs and would rather be playing in the mud.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually my material is kevlar backed, my firend took it from a materials development lab for the army...true story. Its way too expensive to be on the roof of my car.

So you admit you have "black market, stolen military developmental material" as a headliner. HMMM.

I used to work for McDonnell Douglas at one of their Missile Factories in Titusville Florida. In addition to the Tomahawk Cruise Missile , we produced the Shoulder Mounted Assalt Weapon (SMAW) for the USMC. I kept wanting to get a couple of scrapped SMAW's to mount on my 280ZX in place of the stock rear view mirrors. I figured they would look really cool there and possibly dissuade others from cutting me off in traffic, but the Quality Manager would not release any no matter how persistent I was, he just would not change his mind.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by psykokid
I realize that it requires the 64" stuff. A heat gun and some blunt instruments make fitting stuff into complex curves a lot easier.

On a different note, since your obviously a masochist owning vws and a rover, how's your other project british car moving along?

well, tread at your own risk... im just telling you as someone whos done plenty of smaller ones with no issues. even the wide stuff is baaarely wide enough to fit, so if you go even slightly crooked, its time to start over

other project is coming along well, trans is back in, the shop is adjusting it and well hopefully have the exhaust sorted after that. im thinking by thanksgiving the thing should be in nearly daily drive shape (minus the brakes)

Old 10-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
The "olive" looks darker than the "tan" imo and I am definitely colorblind.

I'm doing a lot of flat black stuff in my truck. Can you show us a photo of the chalkboard headliner. Mine is out now.
See this thread:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-34397/page4/