Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Check Engine 1997 Land Rover SE help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011 | 07:37 PM
|
Drifting
Default Check Engine 1997 Land Rover SE help?

I have a Land Rover SE-1997 Discovery and the vehicle seems to stall out every now and then. I have had this problem now 3 times and it will run fine and stall out, like only will go 5 mph. I will give it a couple of days it takes back off, I took it to a mechanic he said it was possibly a Head Gasket issue, strange part is when its running it runs great. He replaced a fuel filter on it and told me it had a coolant leak, well it did and it was the resvoir (black) and I replaced it today with the (white one). Well I went to take a spin and max speed was 5 mph and cutting out, but this time the check engine light finally came on, so I was wondering what you guys would suggest? It might run fine tomorrow is what the curve is and be fine for weeks and do this event next month. I figure take it to a Autozone and get the codes read? THanks for your help.

Last edited by primey; 10-12-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2011 | 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Codes would help all of us. Some sensors that could be involved are over $200, so not a time to toss them at the moving target. When is last time you changed plugs and wires?

Your mechanic should provide some basis of HG diagnosis, most of what you have said points in other directions.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-12-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2011 | 08:32 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Codes would help all of us. Some sensors that could be involved are over $200, so not a time to toss them at the moving target. When is last time you changed plugs and wires?

Your mechanic should provide some basis of HG diagnosis, most of what you have said points in other directions.
Plugs and wires have not been changed since I have owned the vehicle (Jan) of this year, no idea how long its been. I bought it for a 4 wheel drive for snow and off roading. Odd thing Savannah the cutting out seems to happen after a rain event, like moisture is getting into something. I pulled it my garage to let it dry out and it reved up just fine without cutting back, like its back to normal. I will take it to Autozone and get that code check ran on it since I finally got a check engine, when I took it to the mechanic last time it was not on. I had posted last week about the Tail Light(Right side) and Instrument Lights out, so I wonder if its something electrical causing all these issues. I resolved the Coolant tank issue tonight and the old problem of 5mph came back. I appreciate your help and will keep you posted in what I find out. Thank you..

Primey

Old 10-12-2011 | 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

ECU can get wet, sensors can get wet, plug wires can get wet. Codes will help.

Old 10-12-2011 | 08:38 PM
Winching

Sounds like your ECMis wet. Check it, it's on the pass side engine compartment over the wheel well. Also could be a bad vss, does it run rough when running crappy? Like it's not getting spark to all cylinders?

Old 10-13-2011 | 01:29 AM
Rock Crawling

If yours has a distributor, check inside the cap. It's not uncommon for moisture to build up in there and cause all kinds of issues. New cap and rotor are cheap and easy reassurance. The ECM would be my first bet though, google "how to waterproof ECM" and you'll see some DIY ways to make it weatherproof on the cheap. Funny how they build these things to go through water yet put the ECM under the hood.

Old 10-13-2011 | 04:29 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
If yours has a distributor, check inside the cap. It's not uncommon for moisture to build up in there and cause all kinds of issues. New cap and rotor are cheap and easy reassurance. The ECM would be my first bet though, google "how to waterproof ECM" and you'll see some DIY ways to make it weatherproof on the cheap. Funny how they build these things to go through water yet put the ECM under the hood.
Thanks guys for the information the only thing I have noticed is it does it after a rain event. Its like the vehicle is cutting out and will only run 5 mph. and it seems to clear up after the event is over and it dries back out. The check engine light did come on this time, so I will get the codes as well to see what its saying is iffy. Thanks for your help.

Primey

Old 10-13-2011 | 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Look at crank position sensor and wiring and ECU getting wet.

Old 10-13-2011 | 06:32 PM
|
Drifting

Thanks Savannah, nice avatar btw:-) ! I came home and tried it today after it sit in the garage she ran fine, so I know its a moisture issue, I will check that Saturday, I am going to keep her garaged till I can figure out the issue. I will get the Code ran on the Check Engine on it. Thank you...

Primey

Old 10-14-2011 | 07:21 PM
|
Drifting

Ok guys got code P0340 and autozone didn't have the part but called it a cam position sensor. Thanks for your help.

Piimey