Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

clutch-pedal-throwout bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy clutch-pedal-throwout bearing

Hey, I recently was losing my clutch pedal and ordered a slave cylinder and master cylinder and took to a repair shop. They called and said it needed a clutch. Granted, it may have needed a clutch but the initial problem was in the hydraulics.They told me it was $600 labor for the clutch and then charged me $900. Then they said it needed a main seal for another $150 labor plus the part. I ordered the clutch kit from Atlantic British and the shop installed it. I still didn't have much of a clutch pedal so the shop put the master cylinder and a new hose on. When I got the car back the clutch sounds like it is stripping gears when cold. After it warms up it gets much better. They said the kit should have come with a pilot tool. Atlantic British said the kit did not come with a pilot tool. The shop said they had to eyeball it. Now they say it is probably the transmission. Not! I said it was fine till they replaced the clutch. Now, they say it is a bad throw out bearing and I will have to pay labor again. Would the throw out bearing being bad cause this?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No clue sorry, but it sounds like that shop screwed it up, I would raise hell..

Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried bleeding the clutch?
i would stop going back there and find a different shop. get them to diagnose the issue... but if the clutch isnt bled it wont be totally disengaging, and youll get some nasty noises as you try to change gears.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Mudding

IIRC, dont most clutch kits come with a throw out bearing? Did you buy the parts piecemeal (ie just clutch and pressure plate) and not buy it as a kit?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

By "stripping gears" I assume you mean it's grinding. That's not the release bearing. It's hydraulics, and will only occur when you're shifting gears.

A bad release bearing (FRC9568) will cause squealing and will occur during actual clutch operation and/or when the clutch pedal is depressed.
Another cause of the squealing can be the bearing carrier spinning on the release bearing guide (FRC4803) and again will occur during actual clutch operation and/or when the clutch pedal is depressed.
The carrier is made of Bakelite and if the little pin (576203) is missing the carrier will spin and wear down.
Or it could be both.

As for the hydraulics, when one part goes I usually replace all 3 (MC, flex hose, SC) since the others will soon follow.

You can get an clutch alignment tool that fits at your local auto parts store (I can't remember if it's the metric or SAE one).
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=350

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=372

If it's a shop that does clutch work I'm surprised they don't have one. I've never seen clutch kit come with an alignment tool.
I can't believe they just eyeballed it.
I'd find a different shop.

Last edited by antichrist; 11-11-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad someone is getting to this issue before I did......

I am also have the same issue. After I button up the rest of the engine and steering box, I plan to replace the slave, hose and rebuild the master cylinder. I have all the parts ready to go, just need the time to do it.

When I tried bleeding the system a few months ago, I noticed that the pedal would drop to the floor and not come back. It had to be lifted manually, to draw the fluid. Once the system built some pressure, it started to work correctly.

Thought that was odd........

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey, Thanks for the info. I called the shop and was assured they had bled the clutch. They said they had been doing repairs for 15 years and knew what they were doing. The owner said he took the bleed screw completely out and didn't get anything?? He insisted I had a bad bearing, so I ordered a replacement. I definately need to find another shop that knows what they are doing. And so, the learning experience continues.....

Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jbunner
The owner said he took the bleed screw completely out and didn't get anything?? He insisted I had a bad bearing....
WTF?!
He removed the bleed screw and no fluid came out so that means you need a release bearing?

I'm not going to say you don't need one because I might not be interpreting your description of the sound correctly, but no fluid coming out of the clutch slave is unrelated to the release bearing.

Personally I wouldn't replace a clutch, except in an emergency, without also replacing the release bearing. It's false economy.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbunner
The owner said he took the bleed screw completely out and didn't get anything??

find another shop... like... yesterday.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey, I did buy a clutch kit. The shop said the release bearing they sent was defective. Per ya'lls advise, I requested they try to bled the clutch again before they determine it is a defective release bearing because they say I will have to pay for the labor again. First they said Atlantic British should pay for the labor since they sent a defective part, but AB said they wouldn't. The sound is like stripping gears. Thanks

Quick Reply: clutch-pedal-throwout bearing