Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

clutch-pedal-throwout bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I did say in #10 that I bought a clutch kit that had all new parts. This included a release bearing and they said this new one was defective. I have taken the car to 3 different shops and gotten 3 different answers. I didn't have any trouble with the transmission and or clutch except I just didn't have a pedal. I first ordered a slave and master cylinder. The shop said send those parts back as it needed a clutch. I ordered the clutch kit. After they installed clutch, they still had to fix clutch pedal with the slave and master cylinder and a new hose. The clutch makes a noise like grinding gears when half way out. The car shifts fine. After I drive it and it warms up most of the noise goes away. I have had it bled 3 times. One garage said it was probably the clutch plate another said it might be the tranny. The tranny was fine till the clutch was installed. I followed the manual, put in neutral and checked it. The noise doesn't get better or worse. No one seems to have the same problem. Seems like if it was tranny the noise would get worse not go away when it warms up. At this point the clutch has all new parts. I was questioning the installation but can't see how to get that checked without completely removing the clutch again. My son said it could be the input shaft sitting on top of the pilot bushing on top of the crankshaft. Any thoughts?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Post 17 is a diagnostic flow and each part needs to be answered and acted upon as indicated. Then post the answers and results.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have said numerous times all the clutch parts are new. The grinding sounds like I'm stripping a gear when the clutch is half way out, not when shifting. When the clutch is all the way out the sound is not there. When the clutch is completely in no noise. The garage said it was a bad release bearing because they said it was. I questioned this and then they said it must be the tranny. Thanks

Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, it sounds like some variation of what I posted in #5.