Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Colored Snorkels: Who's intersted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the behind the fender look way more than the safari over the top look.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME
.....Joy riding off road in a Land Rover Discovery should be criminal at best.....
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills....first it's snokels that "aren't SHOWY enough"??? Now ^^^this^^^?????

But seriously, when you get your design down, I'll take a flat black one, Mantec style

Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the first prototype design figured out. Was up all night pushing numbers into the computer. Stumbled onto an interior design that demonstrates the best air intake breathability and reliability compared to the hollow straw design. This design is solid, easy to install, will not be intimidated by impacts and is very affordable. The exterior however is not what anyones expects. When this is finnished and you compare it to whats out there, huh; it's like comparing cheerios to fruity pebbles. Very excited to get to North Carolina and start working on the prototype and casting. Again I appreciate everyones input. One area that I still need some more input on is the top, head attachment. One great suggestion was to have it rotate 360 degrees. Need more suggestions please. Also would the filter location be more beneficial under the hood and attached to the MAF for easy cleaning. Or mounted in the head or somewhere within the tube. There is no real difference with concern to the engine. I noticed Safari uses a piece of crappy foam in the head.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Filter in the engine compartment.
WHO could have had such a great idea about a rotating head.....hmmmmm
I hope this top secret design isn't too far off the beaten path as to dissuade people from buying it. It still needs to look like a snorkel, if it looks like an elephant trunk (even though I requested that verbatim)...I'm returning it
As far as heads go if you've ever seen that Toyota one with the enclosed fish bowl look I, personally, DON'T Want that. I want something more in line with the mantec and safari tops. The safari top has those rain flutes which is an added bonus. But the spinnable head should help with rain intake too no? As long as you remember it.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Winching

The rain or water splash is taken care of with the interior design. One thing I have found is that when air travels into the tube it follows a direct and mostly continuous path. Those so-called rain slats are not entirely an efficient design. I wonder if they actually tested that concept. My software allows me to construct a 3D image and introduce variables. What I have found is that an interior design must be constructed to stableize the continuous and fluctuating rush of air. Current designs allow the water and air to travel together in a common pattern. A large percentage of the straw is actually unused, pressure wise. The so-called rain exits are based off of this pattern. Unfortunetly if the head is not directed properly, it distorts this air flow, renduring the rain exits near useless. The angle has to be perfectly alligned in order to work efficiently. I have found an interior design that will act as a drier, while maximizing the intake air to pressurize the entire space, which helps further cool the air. This allows for a more maximized stable air flow and eliminating the moisture more efficiently. Yeah I don't like the bowl filter head either.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you eliminating the factory airbox?
Or are you tapping into the airbox like the Mantec does?
With the Mantec you remove the trumpet and attach the snorkel to there, there are already water drains in the bottom of the airbox.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Winching

I have planned for the use of the box and without it. Like my Disco, I tossed the box, so I'll be designing a new box for my use. However the factory box really is no match for water, unless resealed using after market supplies.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

True the OEM airbox is not water tight, but you cannot submerge a petrol engine anyway, snorkel or not.
If you get water in your airbox its going to be because you shorted out the ignition and the engine stalled.
I still want a snorkel, but I'm just saying.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Yeah, snorkels are 90% looks and 10% function on our rigs.... but I still want one

Old 06-21-2011, 01:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally someone who isn't smoking crack, I'm looking at buying a snorkel in the very near future, but was a tad bit concerned when i saw rovers north wanted $550 for a snorkel.
let me know when you are selling.

Quick Reply: Colored Snorkels: Who's intersted?