Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Console frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
As far as I know AB doesn't have the shifter tape. Please, prove me wrong. I've looked around and only heard rumors of a part that's no longer available. Would love to figure out a fix as I'm not spending the cash on that fix when there's so much else to do.
They haven't had the tape on their site for awhile.

If you want, I can get the complete illumination unit to you for $60.50 including shipping to PR.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a pic of mine while I was working on it four years ago (Dec 07). I went a step further when I did complete the effort to get it all working properly. I had to replace the CDL switch to get the light to work.
Prior to putting that rubber boot and frame back on, I added one of those rubber cone type roof flashing pieces that is used by plumbers and roofers to seal around a plumbing vent on your roof. I had a spare one laying around so AI cut a small hole in the top of the cone for the shift lever to go thru, placed it over the top of that greased box giving it an added layer of protection, then but the original rubber boot back in place with pop rivets.

You can see the top box is packed full of Lucas Red Tractor Grease.
Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers.

If you click on the pics link in my signature, you will find a few albums of various things I did with my Discovery right after I got it. I lost most of my pics when my previous computer crashed.

I also completely removed my console and ended up mounting an old wooden Cutty Sark Whiskey case in it's place with the console top mounted on the top front half of the whiskey case, rotated 90 degrees so it opens toward the passengers side. The window switches are mounted in the front of the case and the seat switches are under the console lid.

There is a small wooden top on the rear half that flips up for access to a small storage bin.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 01-11-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Paul. It's a last priority. We're gonna do business soon tho! Weird the other guy didn't take you up on your offer.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow....this brings back memories. I had to do this back in 2002 (I think). My daughter spilled Coke on the shifter and the film got stuck and ripped.

Ahhh...memories...

Old 01-12-2012, 11:12 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
..... I had to replace the CDL switch to get the light to work....

Hey Danny, can that switch be accessed from the exterior of the truck? I suspect my switch has gone bad (thought the linkage is smooth as butter). It might also be the bulb in the dash (which I'll try first) of course but I'm trying to figure how much I really need/want the light on the dash to illuminate.