Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Convert to 2 Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool idea, I've seen more than a few vehicles converted in such a manner, never a Rover though. Bondo in any hole will just fall out so scratch that idea. Filler should never be used under any circumstance to fill a large void, it should only be used to perfect the panel once the metal work is complete. The right way and pretty much the only way to make it last is to weld the doors shut. The finishing work to make it look right would include filler panels welded in place of course for the door handles, and probably some custom fabbed trim to tie it together.

It's an attainable idea and pretty straight forward. If you've never welded body panels before you may want to look into the process. It takes forever and you can easily warp a panel beyond repair if you rush or weld improperly. Its a neat idea but if the finished sides look like the Atlantic, its just another hack job.

What kind of welder do you have? I'm a certified welder and have done custom body work for quite sometime so I'd be happy to lend some advice if needed when it comes to process and products.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And being aluminum, the welding and waving from that is certainly something to consider. Might even want to budget a door from a dead Disco in the salvage yard to practice on. My comment about gallons of Bondo was just a little humor. Sort of like covering it with a swath of diamond plate.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The photo is of a Discovery Commercial. They came from the factory like that for D1's and DII's. Only starting with the DIII did companies start doing conversions because the factory didn't produce them (they may have started later after they realized there was a market).
D1's were also available as 3-door with rear seats and glass all around.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And comments about reduced vision are spot on, it is a royal pain to drive without a glass in the passenger side rear door. Just hang a sweat shirt over yours and try it for a week.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have trash bags on the windows now. (Thank you to collin barrows for the idea). But right now its now where near as bad as my '88 chevy camper van

Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 PM
TReK
Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, the doors are so damn small anyways...you wouldn't hardly notice I'm sure

Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And being aluminum, the welding and waving from that is certainly something to consider. Might even want to budget a door from a dead Disco in the salvage yard to practice on. My comment about gallons of Bondo was just a little humor. Sort of like covering it with a swath of diamond plate.
No kidding these things are aluminum? I had no idea good thing I never had to weld anything on mine I would have had one heck of a hole before I figured that out.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:02 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

The door skins are aluminum while the inner door is steel.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, the first step on my week to week budget will be removing the carpet in the footspace, removing rear seats and welding up some kind of storage box to level the entire rear area. As soon as I get that done im gone also do a painted headliner (mines falling off and little fuzzy things are coating my interior ).

I haven't decide if I want to keep the carpet and trim. Replace the carpet with bedlining paint or leave it shiny bare metal all with or without trim? Any
suggestions?

Quick Reply: Convert to 2 Door