Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cooling in Extremes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bcbp
Just the clutch, unbolt it from the new fan. You'll need to drill the holes larger on the new clutch.
Actually it's the fan itself you'll have to enlarge the holes in. You'll also need four different bolts. (The Rover clutch is metric, the Chevy is SAE.) I think they're 3/8-16 by 1/2", don't quote me on it though.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I trimmed my boneyard fan to fit the oem shroud. Not as much air moves without the shroud at low speed or idle. You have to be precise, as balance is involved.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

ok so I need to use the rover clutch and the chevy fan?
trim the fan to fit the shroud?
wouldn't it be better to trim the shroud so there is no concern with throwing the fan off balance and in turn ruining my new clutch and wp?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

I am running at this point oem shroud, oem water pump from a boneyard donor D2 (clean but not brand new), and clutch plus fan from 2000 Chevy Blazer. 10,000 miles so far. Trimmed fan. I tried various combinations of Rover fan and Chevy clutch etc. Settled on this because it moves more air.

see https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...hlight=cooling
and https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...ghlight=clutch
and https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...ghlight=clutch

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-13-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
ok so I need to use the rover clutch and the chevy fan?
trim the fan to fit the shroud?
wouldn't it be better to trim the shroud so there is no concern with throwing the fan off balance and in turn ruining my new clutch and wp?
No, you use the ROVER fan and the CHEVY fan clutch.

Buzz likes to experiment because he gets bored or something.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Or to look at it another way:

Stock fan and stock clutch and stock shroud = normal use in most parts of the world.

Chevy clutch (save money) + stock fan + stock shroud = normal use and fixes most problems

Chevy clutch + Chevy altered fan + stock shroud = a little more cooling at low speed, no difference at freeway speed

No clutch and metal blade fan + stock shroud = more low speed cooling, less MPG

I have not compared the D2 fan on a D1 with the clutch, the D2 fan looks like it might also move more air.

One reason I did this was to show that salvaged parts could be used on a temporary basis. Not all boneyards are classy enough to have Rovers, but hard to find one without Chevys. Money is sometimes an issue, etc.

I'd love to find a substitute radiator, or alternator (besides the obvious Range Rover ones).

About this time the IBEF members usually wake up..... (International Brotherhood of Electric Fan-atics)

Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
No, you use the ROVER fan and the CHEVY fan clutch.

Buzz likes to experiment because he gets bored or something.
Bored and experimenting is what im cooking up! Dual electric fans from a Ford Probe GT. 14" and 12" pullers. Shroud is exact width of the Rover radiator and only a 1" shorter. Split the difference and you have a 1/2" gap at the top and bottom with a fully shrouded electric fan set up. And it helps that my DD is a Probe GT and I have a spare fan set up laying around

Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom, I'm from SJ if you need a hand let me know. I did the Chevy clutch swap about 6 months ago.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I was wondering when someone was gonna chime in with the electric fan argument. I can't argue the logic as 99% of OEM systems are now electric.

I however, being the simpleton that I am, enjoy ridiculous simplicity. My trucks will always have a mechanical fan. Unless someone can show me verifiable data backing up a substantial gain in HP/MPG (like 15+horse and 7+mpg), I enjoy the reliability and simplicity of the mechanical fan.

As far as the Chevy fan, I'll try it. I'd rather cut my 5 dollar junk yard part then my Land Rover. I'm a huge fan of not cutting up my truck unless its absolutely necessary. I don't even like cutting the dash up for a radio.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

ok I purused the links above and see that the disco came with a 6 blade? mine has an 11 blade with rover emblem

ya'll are makin my head hurt or maybe it is from beating it on my rover lol

Quick Reply: Cooling in Extremes.