Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

cruise control and other random questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control and other random questions

First the cruise control. Ive been fighting it for about a month or 2 now. changed all the hoses. Did the diagnostic probing listed in another post. Changed out the ECU. No luck. This past Sunday it was 82 here so I decided to get a carwash, you know one of those with the undercarriage spray. well guess what. after the wash the cruise worked.......for a day, Monday it crapped out again. Im thinking bad ground somewhere that got "fixed" by being wet. Any other theories?

Random question 1. (relating to the cruise) does anyone know what voltage the VSS should be showing at initial start? while back probing the cruise ECU connector at rest, engine running, the VSS gives off 13.5 volts or so. drive along it fluctuates like it should. come to a stop and it reads zero. is that 13.5 volts at initial start indicating a problem?

Random Question 2. Did any of these Discovery's come with electric fans stock? ive got two up front.

Random question 3. (really simple one, im almost embarrassed to ask) are the large amber turn signals outboard of the headlights supposed to light up with the parking lights?

Thanks again

Adam

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adam123
First the cruise control. Ive been fighting it for about a month or 2 now. changed all the hoses. Did the diagnostic probing listed in another post. Changed out the ECU. No luck. This past Sunday it was 82 here so I decided to get a carwash, you know one of those with the undercarriage spray. well guess what. after the wash the cruise worked.......for a day, Monday it crapped out again. Im thinking bad ground somewhere that got "fixed" by being wet. Any other theories?

Random question 1. (relating to the cruise) does anyone know what voltage the VSS should be showing at initial start? while back probing the cruise ECU connector at rest, engine running, the VSS gives off 13.5 volts or so. drive along it fluctuates like it should. come to a stop and it reads zero. is that 13.5 volts at initial start indicating a problem?

Random Question 2. Did any of these Discovery's come with electric fans stock? ive got two up front.

Random question 3. (really simple one, im almost embarrassed to ask) are the large amber turn signals outboard of the headlights supposed to light up with the parking lights?

Thanks again

Adam
IF it worked after you got it wet I would suggest taking a closer look at the vacuum pump itself for the CC. The electrical connection that runs to it may be bad/loose etc. unplug it and take a good look. It's possible I guess that the water "plugged" up a small leak in a vacuum line... you say you replaced them all, but I would still do a quick test. A "Mightvac" tool is your best friend on these trucks and worth the small amount of cash they cost.

On question 2, Yes. Those are turned on by turning on your AC. Make sure they both work.

Question 3... No. They only come on as blinkers. a few guys have converted them to light up. instead you have a secondary bulb that lights in the headlights for the parking light function. (which actually works pretty well in situations where you want front light but not the full headlights, like when I take the kids trick or treating and am slowly driving down the street full of people and other kids at dusk)

Personally, I always thought they should light and that the truck would look better with them lit.