Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 and Blizzard Snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was unable to get my truck stuck on stock tires. I tried pretty darn hard too. Was VERY close in some sandy mud, but still crawled out.

With the 265/75/16 mud tires on it, fuhgeddaboutit. You can't stop this beast. I think they do better in the snow than they do the mud... ??

Bring it on!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The folks talking about such deep snow, I don't get it.

I miss our old woodcoat Disco II SE7 sometimes -- and don't for various reasons at other times, but I do recall managing to get it stuck back during our last real "blizzard" in Denver in 03? I managed to plow a pile high enough in front of East High School in what must have only been at that point 16 inches or less of snow. The car high sided itself and I was left digging all four wheels out.

Nothing is unstoppable.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blobbin
The folks talking about such deep snow, I don't get it.

I miss our old woodcoat Disco II SE7 sometimes -- and don't for various reasons at other times, but I do recall managing to get it stuck back during our last real "blizzard" in Denver in 03? I managed to plow a pile high enough in front of East High School in what must have only been at that point 16 inches or less of snow. The car high sided itself and I was left digging all four wheels out.

Nothing is unstoppable.
NO CDL=FAIL ... i saw one D2 get stuck...didnt have CDL. Today i went through a 5 ft snow drift no problem....tried to do no CDL on 10in snow...she spun spun spun....

Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Rock Crawling

The snow here in Northern Indiana was like sand - it even polished the sidewalls. No CDL engaged and I only had to make a second attempt at one point. Trying to miss a high sided Jeep GC. Lost all momentum trying to avoid him. Stock -2" for gravity and old springs. Tickled to death sums it up.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fresh snow is very easy to plow through. You can easily have snow up to your bumper without getting stuck, considering you have good tires. Packed snow is another story. A little snowbank requires some momentum to go through, and still, it gets packed under the truck and then you get stuck.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
4th Gear

NO CDL=FAIL ... i saw one D2 get stuck...didnt have CDL. Today i went through a 5 ft snow drift no problem....tried to do no CDL on 10in snow...she spun spun spun....
A center lock would have made zero difference as the vehicle in heavy snow would / will plow a pile and then climb on top of it and high-side on all fours requiring a long dig out process.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my discos in snow, but reminded me of another story...

YEARS ago I had a 68 series 55 Land-cruiser wagon (wish I had kept that one)

looked just like this but not nearly as nice...

For those not familiar with them...

http://www.histomobile.com/dvd_histo...ries_Wagon.htm

Anyways, it was 45 below zero, in ND, had been for over a week, the truck was sitting behind the house completely buried in snow. I'm talked at least a foot above the roof of the truck, with this big drift coming off it and a good 2 feet in the areas that's had not piled up. Bored a friend and I dug out the drivers door and got in... battery was dead. So we shoveled enough snow away from the front to put the crank in... (It had the option of using a hand crank to start the engine) He pulled the choke and I gave it a good crank and it started on the 3rd try. Drove it right out of that crap like it wasn't even there... was an amazing truck.

Last edited by ngarover; 02-04-2011 at 11:20 PM.