Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you say the hoses were originally leaking, did you replace them?

A lot of others have reported that a long term leak ends up damaging the suspension components directly underneath the steering components as they end up being bathed in the fluid.

You may want to look at yours very closely with good light from underneath.

When I first got mine, there were multiple minor issues. As I have resolved each of those, the underneth is somehow amazingly clean and I can tell what is what, much different than when I bought it and could not even get underneath it.

Amazing, simply amazing.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know where it was leaking. So I did not change the hose. This morning there still fluid in reservoir. Maybe I need to drive it more and heat up the engine is see if I can find the leak

Old 07-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Mudding

There are no leaks. So I'm not sure what to do. I can't fix something I don't where is was leaking.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Drifting

I had the same trouble with my hoses, i thought they were leaking, but now the resovoir is full and i can't see any leaks. The steering componants were covered in gunk like you said, and now i have some handling issues.

I just replaced the transmission, but the truck will only drive when the transfer box is in the locked position. Does this mean that i have an issue with the differentials? If so, is it front or rear? The steering keeps getting stuck when turning to the left, but then other times it turns just fine.

Any ideas?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Mudding

The fluid put in the rover before it need tranny fluid has leak stop. That is why it isn't leaking.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by raim212
I had the same trouble with my hoses, i thought they were leaking, but now the resovoir is full and i can't see any leaks. The steering componants were covered in gunk like you said, and now i have some handling issues.

I just replaced the transmission, but the truck will only drive when the transfer box is in the locked position. Does this mean that i have an issue with the differentials? If so, is it front or rear? The steering keeps getting stuck when turning to the left, but then other times it turns just fine.

Any ideas?
Since your condition is much more than just a steering leak, you should start a new thread and please give a lot more detailed of :
What has been done (did you replace it yourself?)
And what problems you now have.

Note: If you continue to drive it in Diff Lock on dry Pavement, You are making a BIG MISTAKE.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:24 AM
Drifting

i'm having trouble finding where to start a new thread.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Drifting

i figured it out and posted a new thread, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Mudding

It still isn't leaking. I haven't driven it to far just around town. Is there a way to test to find the leak?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Mudding

How common is it to have the reservoir leak? I notice some fluid out the outside.

Quick Reply: D1 steering leak