Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
So if his is ruined, you'll take care of it for him?
There would be more of chance of that since I'm in the same state as him as opposed to making statements from the other side of the country. I'm done with this, maybe you should go and take some pictures of golf clubs, that will certainly make you more of a mechanical expert. I'm guessing the OP is getting tired of this whole conversation.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Noone was trying to scare ayone. You gave "Expert" advice that it is OK and does not matter. No TB supports that for a DI does it?

Other owners have reported a problem from doing that. As we all like to learn from shared experiences, I challenged your assertions that it is fine. You still havew not supported that in my view, but since youre the expert and we all know that any dealership advice must be good for someone, have it your way.

Over and out Mr I am the LR Expert.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-21-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm tired of the internet cowboys here, think I'll leave it to all you experts. Have fun patting yourself on the back.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 PM

I just wonder now what the true effect of adding PS Fluid to the PS on a DI is?

From what I have heard it is detrimental. Wish he ahd stuck to that aspect of the problem instead of what he insisted upon was not a big deal. If it is ruined, please let us know so the others that read this will have an answer that is valid instead of misinformation from a dealership expert.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just reading these posts regarding power steering fluid for a discovery I. I have a 1996 Series I, I replaced the steering box last year at the dealership, and they recommended that I replace the hoses as well since they were leaking. I chose not to have that done at that time. Since then the transmission went so the car has not been driven in about 6 months. I am having the transmission replaced now and it is not time for me to replace the hoses. Before I brought it to aamaco I check the steering fluid and it was empty. I fill it with 1 quart of power steering fluid (I did not know to use ATF fluid, I’ve owned this for 8 years, I know I should have known this). Before I have the hoses replaced should I have the system flushed? I just dropped $1200 for the transmission, I would hate to have to replace any more at this time. Please help! Thanks

Randy

Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Replacing the lines and flushing with fresh ATF would be wise and simple.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Drifting

I read how to bleed the system, but am confused on the bolt to loosen?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The bolt to loosen looks like a zerk fitting. It's on top of the steering box next to a big bolt. Only loosen it a little or it will spray out too fast. Connect a piece of tubing to the fitting to direct the fluid to a pan or just try to catch it all. While it's bleeding don't let the fluid level in the reservoir drop too low.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 PM

Definitely replace those hoses and follow what Eric Says. Every thing I have seen regarding the use of PS Fluid or PS Additives has been bad except for the "LR Master Tech" that blasted me for challenging his advice which is in direct conflict with the documentation for the DI. I guess he got miffed and left.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Mudding

I have been on vacation the last week. Bad timing for the truck to break. Today I filled the reservoir and driving it for afew minutes and noticed no leak. So I'm not sure what to do. I'll check again in the morning.

Quick Reply: D1 steering leak