Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Rest assured that Dad has you safety in mind. You must remain gainfully employed to pay off the student loans and support him in the future.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Funny you mention building up a case based on your decision for your Dad's sake. I used to do the very same thing. I bought a 68' Camero that was in mint condition, low miles for $500 but I had to sell it to my Dad before I put the cash on the barrel. Hard sell but I won. He did not believe me until he saw it parked in the driveway. All he did was smile. So knock one out of the park for Dad's sake, you'll be the beneficiary many fold. If you can afford it find an XD. They pretty much hold their value and anything you do to it will just bolster it's worth. Seriously. Your already an auto aficionado, keep it rolling.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arains44
Sounds similar to my situation. Seems like the perfect vehicle really. And now I can play the safety card as well haha
id hardly call a top heavy suv with questionable brakes safe, but... whatever works...

at least it comes with a lot of brake lights from the factory!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts

I've owned a 4-door jeep wrangler previously so oddly enough the top heavy SUV doesn't seem to bother the parents. I liked driving an SUV/4x4 daily a lot and enjoyed the convenience of the space, towing ability, off road ability, and being able to carry a bunch of people. I'm also interested in a unique and not too expensive car. I'd also like to start doing all of my own maintenance and feel that this is a good vehicle to meet those requirements. Thoughts?

Thanks again everyone

Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I bought a D1 high miles for my daughter's first car / college ride. It stays in the lot at the university 35 miles away while she walks or takes the shuttle bus. If we are lucky she comes home for a weekend visit / laundry / shopping with Mom, etc.

But here is the reason I wanted it.
The same thing happend dropping of my daughter off at school. In my rear view mirror, I see this Scion cutting off people to get into the parking lot. Then, felt this light tap. I get out, see this young girl's Scion stuck under the reat bumper..... I felt bad for her. Not a scratch on the Disco....like a tank.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

One member from the Vegas area posted about being t-boned by a Camry that ran a red light at 50 mph. He walked away. The other driver did not survive her encounter with the Disco crumple zone. High center of gravity is an issue for any similar vehicle operated by persons who prefer Porsche to go with their Red Bull and vodka. These things weigh almost what three Hondas would.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

The bone yard. I've seen at least a dozen Disco's 1's and 2's head on to roll-overs. None where there because of old age. Every one of them had their air bags deployed. The main occupant areas had zero deformation, even the roll-overs. The roof rack side rails had long scraps and gouges so you could tell they slid a ways upside down and yet the rails nor roofs hadn't buckled. The Jeeps there where another story altogether. Two had fatalities and several had intrusion into the occupant area. Obviously the ratio is not equal, fewer LR's to Jeep's but the type of collisions do in proportion. The bone yard is my favorite comparison tool. If I'm not mistaken I believe the EU had higher standards for crash worthiness than the US. I know that their road inspections are way more thorough and cover every aspect of a vehicle to be certified road worthy.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Three Wheeling

I have a 2000 disco, that it drive everyday... they need ALOT of maintenance... but are great trucks....

Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Drifting

I have a 1996 (my daily) and a 1998 Disco I (on deck and being repaired) and I love them. Most of the maintenance you will be performing is a couple of hours every other weekend if you keep up with it. Some parts are pricy, some are cheap (like any other older vehicle) but the advantage is that there is a ton of resources you can tap into to keep up, ask questions and learn about them.

As far as safety, yeah, they are a bit top-heavy but sturdy as hell. I used to drive a Scion tC, and got nailed by a Pontiac Grand Am. My Scion was totaled.

After purchasing the 1996, I have been hit yet again, this time by a late model Honda and I walked away with little damage at all. Can't say as much for the Honda though.

I drive around 75 miles every weekday and average about 16 - 17 MPG using 85 octane fuel. I am putting about a quart of oil every two weeks into the engine.

All-in-all, I love driving it. It's old, it's dirty, it's rough around the edges, and she is an ugly little thing, but she gets me there. If you take care of your Disco though, it'll take care of you.

Last edited by zer0Point; 12-06-2012 at 01:29 PM.