Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Dash lights/rear wiper not working, fuse blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dash lights/rear wiper not working, fuse blowing

So I took the Disco to work this morning for the first time since the head gasket replacement and the dash lights aren't working. I noticed the other day the rear wiper wasn't working ether. After a bunch of searching it appears the tail lights can be linked to this problem also but they appear to work fine. The fuse blows pretty much as soon as I turn the key on. Any ideas before I start tearing in looking for rodent damage?

Edit: it blows with the lights and the wiper off, I only have to turn the key on.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Both tied into HJ8 behind the instrument cluster. White connector with a bunch of black wires going to it, all grounds. Which fuse is blowing? The rear wiper is not the same fuse as the dash lighting. F18 10A is for wiper, F8 10A for interior lights and both drivers side fuse panel under wheel.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Both tied into HJ8 behind the instrument cluster. White connector with a bunch of black wires going to it, all grounds. Which fuse is blowing? The rear wiper is not the same fuse as the dash lighting. F18 10A is for wiper, F8 10A for interior lights and both drivers side fuse panel under wheel.
18 is blowing, I just noticed the rear windows aren't working ether. I guess I'll pull the cluster and check for rodent damage. There was a mouse living in the glove box.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Luckily not to hard to get to. I know all about mice and chipmunks. The little $hits leave me presents all over the interior, chewed up my insurance card in the glove box. Steel wool keeps em out, they hate it. My neighbors daughter had her hood frame filled with acorns in preparation for the Zombie Apocalypse, had to be ten pounds worth and they really don't smell good when heated.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Luckily not to hard to get to. I know all about mice and chipmunks. The little $hits leave me presents all over the interior, chewed up my insurance card in the glove box. Steel wool keeps em out, they hate it. My neighbors daughter had her hood frame filled with acorns in preparation for the Zombie Apocalypse, had to be ten pounds worth and they really don't smell good when heated.
LOL

I've been reading this thread

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...working-64714/

His tail lights were causing his issue and I just went through all the lights and got them working. I'm pretty sure after I did that this issue popped up. Also they mentioned the trailer lights causing this issue so I might need to remove the harness.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm never bored while working on a Rover with the vast array of secondary issues which can cause the same primary issue of "It" doesn't work.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Mudding

Well I didn't get to work on it today because I hosted my fathers 82nd birthday but tomorrow I'll hopefully find the short after work. If not I'll probably just say screw it and run without dash lights and rear window wiper. At least all the tail lights work. I'm hopping it's something easy like the trailer light harness.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Mudding

So what else does the fuse 18 do? It runs the dash lights, rear wiper and looks like the power mirrors? Just about everything is tore apart now, all the bulbs in the taillights have been taken out but still that damn fuse blows as soon as I turn the key to the run position. It doesn't matter if anything is on. Stereo is unhooked, power mirror switch is unhooked, all the rear lights are unplugged, rear wiper switch is unplugged but as soon as I turn the key from ACC to the ON/RUN position the fuse blows.

If anybody has any ideas I'm all ears. Without anymore leads I've pretty much made up my mind to just give up on this and forget it.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Camel Trophy

Wash/wipe - rear, mirrors, cruise control. Might want to disconnect that too. CC switch, rotary coupler, steering wheel switches, and CC ECU. Those are all on fuse 18.

Last edited by ihscouts; 09-21-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Mudding

or if somebody can tell me what wire powers the gauge lights on the cluster I'll just wire up a switch.

Quick Reply: Dash lights/rear wiper not working, fuse blowing