Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diff shifter removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Is the safety the electronic solenoid in the shifter box? If not do you have a pic? I want to disable mine, but not sure what it is.

Thanks.
its the cylinder thing under the blue wire in this pic. you are looking at the tcase from the front of the truck in this view. mine was stuck pretty good.. take the cover off and there is a solenoid in there. i had to wiggle out prety aggressively with a set of pliers. this is different than the shift interlock thing that other people complain about when the brake switch fails.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Nice! Pull it out and plug with RTV?

Thanks for the pic!

Abran

Old 05-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yup, you dont need to really plug anything, just seal the cover.. idk why, thats just what all the writeups say. idk if it gets bathed in fluid of anything.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, Im feeling blonde ..... RTV? ANyway, lol yes I still have the console out. Cool about the light then I wont worry about that. The way the shifter moves super loose now is front to rear, so you think that is due to this "park safety" having failed? What is a park safety anyway? Feels more like I broke something loose, I just cant see anything broken. So, I will go and pull that plug now.

Then what? Put it all back together, packed in grease minus the park safety plug? That sounds too easy, but Im gonna go out and give it a shot.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:37 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

What I'd be concerned with is the possiblity that, when moving the shifter from side to side (locked to unlocked) you actually separated the hi lo shifter from the rest of the assembly. Not the end of the world but definitely a cause for the lack of resistance when moving the lever.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Wow!

That is EXACTLY what happened.
Diff shifter removal?-broken.jpg

Had to do some grandma stuff and couldn't get back in there till this evening, but once I did this is what I found. It was hard to get to because it looks like something was nesting in there, lol, gross bunch of caked mud and sagebrush.

Anyway, does this piece have a technical name? Something to search by so I can find a new one. Also, should I still pull the safety thing while I'm in there?

Old 05-19-2014, 07:36 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by JustTani
That is EXACTLY what happened.
Attachment 21127

Had to do some grandma stuff and couldn't get back in there till this evening, but once I did this is what I found. It was hard to get to because it looks like something was nesting in there, lol, gross bunch of caked mud and sagebrush.

Anyway, does this piece have a technical name? Something to search by so I can find a new one. Also, should I still pull the safety thing while I'm in there?

Rovers north has the part:

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=FRC8075

I also have a used one if you want to go that route.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Here it is installed, where hi low shifter connects to hi low lever on the case
Someone must have gone hog wild on it to break like that

Name:  IMG_20140519_101120_zpskez4woel.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  166.0 KB

Old 05-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by JustTani
ok, Im feeling blonde ..... RTV? ANyway, lol yes I still have the console out. Cool about the light then I wont worry about that. The way the shifter moves super loose now is front to rear, so you think that is due to this "park safety" having failed? What is a park safety anyway? Feels more like I broke something loose, I just cant see anything broken. So, I will go and pull that plug now.

Then what? Put it all back together, packed in grease minus the park safety plug? That sounds too easy, but Im gonna go out and give it a shot.
Sorry, forgot to clarify. RTV is a silicone gasket maker that comes in a tube.

Thanks,

Abran

Old 05-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Buy cheez wiz can of "the right stuff" got to be the best on the market IMO, pricey but so worth it

Quick Reply: Diff shifter removal?