Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diff shifter removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are the best! Tom thanks so much for the pic. Looks like it's gonna be a nasty B*t(# to get back together with it still inside the rig. Good thing I have little hands.

Im thinking about the cause of this breaking, besides someone manhandling it. I mean it must've snapped because it wouldn't move the way it should right?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I think it will borderline impossible to get the broken part back on and the nut tightened without removing the shifter.

Maybe this will help.

Name:  CDL-diagram_zps73b03122.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  109.7 KB

Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I don't unbolt the entire bracket from trans I remove shifter from bracket, easier to access bolts from top, then pull clip and pin for diff lock lever pivot, then pull clip and pin for the hi low rod, this pin is put in backwards hence the need to remove the shifter either way its a pain in the ...

Old 05-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Wow! that is a CLEAN piece you have there Abran, & That does help a ton!!! Going shopping tomorrow for some grease and some of that cheese wiz like gasket stuff. Any recommendations on the flavor of grease best to pack that shifter with this time?

Old 05-21-2014, 01:17 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I like that marine grease, kind of blue green teal color. But maybe it's just the color that I like...

Old 05-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

No reason to pack with grease it is not a sealed shifter it will just allow water to get in and stay just remove shifter clean and wipe down good with the grease
With my trans out I actaly drilled a drain hole in the shifter base

Old 05-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Also when you pull the clips and pins on the linkages there are plastic bushings, don't lose em

Old 05-23-2014, 06:28 AM
Drifting

Lol, funny you should mention those bushings Tom. So far EVERYone has mentioned NOT to lose the pin, like it has magical disappearing powers. So while I have been paying that pin all this extra attention wouldn't you know - the damn Clip ran off. I'm pretty sure they just couldn't stand another minute of being stuck together. Not sure how rare the clips are, but I may be looking for a new one when I'm finished searching for the old one.

Anyways, I have the bushings but since I took them off kinda without looking (couldn't fit both hands AND my face down in there at the same time) I hope I get them back on there the right way. I noticed one is different than the other.

Would you mind giving me the brief basics of what the bushings do Tom? I can follow instructions and just fix things, but taking stuff apart & learning how it all works (or doesn't work) is what I enjoy most about doin it myself.

Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

"Anyways, I have the bushings but since I took them off kinda without looking (couldn't fit both hands AND my face down in there at the same time) I hope I get them back on there the right way. I noticed one is different than the other."

They must have been deformed over the years as they should be identical. You want to fit them from the inside of the clevis. They are there to prevent metal against metal abrasion. If yours are really that bad they are available new from Rovers North for about $3-4 a piece. Frankly, I wouldn't worry that much about them. There's plenty more than can go wrong with your truck before you start to have issues with the linkage because of a couple of missing bushings. Use what you have and try fitting them flush into the clevis so the rod will comfortably fit and you can get the pin through.

Also, if you've lost the clip for securing the pin in the clevis just take the pin to a good hardware store. They'll have what you need. There's nothing particularly unusual about a part like that.