Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

differential light

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, in the OP he says he moved the shifter left and right. Didn't work. Several other posts say to try backing-up and to do it while moving. Then we progressed into manually operating the shifter plate from below.

I think it's just the opposite of what you say Tweak, we have been trying to get him to understand a system that is known to be problematic by providing technical drawings, photos and first-hand experience with the mech. 'Fixing' this in the least invasive manner has been emphasized from the beginning. One post even said to just spray it down with WD40...doesn't get much easier than that.

One has to assume all of the suggested methods failed and the OWNER has decided to go at it from above. That's his choice, one that has already been discouraged. If it turns out he wasn't operating the lever properly (there's only two options, left/right, forward/back), then he will gain a much better understanding of the system in the end that's for sure!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Overlanding

Thanks 'hh65flyer' (and everyone, and I do mean everyone - all of this information, has helped).

Yes, I tried everything. I tired to undo the "wound up" and nothing worked. I moved the shift left to right, right to left and yes, front to back, blah, blah.

I had the unit "wound up", two or three times before. And did the backing up and forward thing. In the past, this had worked. But not now.

Yes, I could NOT get my hand, up there from underneath. So yes, I had to go from the top/console. I got passed the E-brake pretty easily. I drilled on the rivets and find the cam/shifter. Man, it's really dirty down there. To point, that I almost did not see, what I was looking for. But, with a flashlight, I saw it.

I thought, before I would continue, I would clean up the metal shavings from the drilled out rivets. So I vacuumed them all up. I even did my best to vacuumed, the area were this cam/shifter is. This has help. I have some before and after pictures (if anyone is interested). I was thinking maybe, I should clean that area - BETTER. If you guys think so, then please advise on what to use and the best way, to clean it. Only if it will help in the future.

So I have NOT tried to move the cam. For two reasons: One is was getting dark and I was getting tried (and getting cold). I thought best, that I came this far - why mess it up.

Second reason and the most important one. I moved the 'differential shifter' from up top. I move it 'left' and I could see the "lever diff lock' move - BUT NOTHING happen at the cam/shifter (or according to RoverNorth, the DIFF LOCK SELCTR). It was stuck. Same thing happen when I move the console shifter (from up top) to the right. lever moved - but nothing happen below. Yes, I tried moving these a few times.

Now, what really scares me (and I hope I not just scared). Is when I moved the top shifter (from up top). To forward (4 LOW) and back (4 high) - the gear (which I could find the name and/or part on Rovers North) - It's located toward the top. Well, this gear did nothing. I could see the gear, move a little bit - then would be stuck and NOT want to move and anymore. But it looked like it wanted to move more. Does this make sense. I have a picture of this, in the picture my finger is touch this gear. I speak of.

So I am wondering, is this gear "stripped"? Or do I just need to move the cam/shifter (DIFF LOCK SELCTR)? Also, what way, should I move the 'DIFF LOCK SELCTR'.

Or is there something MORE (bad) going on here?

Also, I never find/see the 'SWITCH - DIFF LOCK/REVERSE' (part # 39). Which turns the light on. Where should I look for this?

Thanks again, everyone!!

Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A few questions:

1. Where are the pics you took? The first two you originally posted looked nothing like the CDL linkages.
2. Did you click on the pics link in my signature? There are multiple pics of all of the CDL linkages both in and out of the vehicle.
3. Spray the entire linkage all the way from top to bottom with PB Blaster and let sit for a while and repeat multiple times so it can pentrate and lubricate.
4. To get mine to finally shift required placing a socket (maybe 13mm) on that center nut on that CDL Selector Plate and rotating it CCW as if to loosen the nut. Instead of loosening the nut, it moved the entire linkage including the CDL Shift lever. Your terminology on the shifters is a bit confusing.
5. To reach the nut from the drivers seat, I used a speed handle with a couple of extensions since it is a couple of feet down there.
6. The switch sits toward the top rear of the t/c housing. To reach mine I cut a access hole in the side of the tranny tunnel. If I find a good pic of the switch I will post it for you. It has a wire coming out of the top and is shaped like a nut with the plunger internal to the T/C.
7.The linkage consists of several small clevis pins and retention clips, it they bind up, you lose the movement that it is supposed to transmit down to the selector plate. That is why you need to soak it several times with PB Blaster. If it is bent or broken or binding it won't work.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers.

In this photo, the switch is at the lower part of the top plate of the transfer case. The nut you need to turn is the one in the center of the selector plate.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Overlanding

Hello Danny Lee,

Yes, I know that the first pictures, I posted were not correct. Here is the what I found:

I was able to get this to move and the light come off. I was also able to get the 'part' that was not moving, to move. Here is what I was talking about:

Everything seems to be working, fine. Now, I just need to get the 'Parking brake' back together and then put the last few things back on and together. Having a little trouble with 'parking brake'. Will look through forum. I will mention, it here. It NO longer 'rackets'/clicks and more important NO longer works/holds.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Success! Your first picture reminds me of when I had to go in there...looked nearly identical. Although I had two quarters buried in the muck! I remember thinking "Man this rig just keeps making me money." ;-)

Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by thelod
Hello Danny Lee,

Yes, I know that the first pictures, I posted were not correct. Here is the what I found:

I was able to get this to move and the light come off. I was also able to get the 'part' that was not moving, to move. Here is what I was talking about:

Everything seems to be working, fine. Now, I just need to get the 'Parking brake' back together and then put the last few things back on and together. Having a little trouble with 'parking brake'. Will look through forum. I will mention, it here. It NO longer 'rackets'/clicks and more important NO longer works/holds.

I certainly hope that it did not look like that when you sealed it all back up!

No wonder it wouldn't work with all that gunk on everything! Did you clean it up and lube it good with some waterproof grease before you closed it all back up? I coated the upper part of mine with Lucas Red Synthetic Waterproof Tractor Grease while I had it all apart. And added another rubber cover over that top box under the one that is riveted in place.

The little button on the top of the parking brake handle can stick in and not let the ratchet work on the parking brake, spray a little PB Blaster or WD40 around the button. I have to smack mine once in a while.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 02-19-2012 at 07:44 PM.